86 Trooper II, Won't start

Just replaced fuel filter and fuel pump. Engine will only fire while spraying into carburetor. Any ideas on where to go? I've heard from friend that I should check carburetor float.

Thanks, Tony

Reply to
thedinellis

"thedinellis"

Check to make sure that fuel is actually getting to the carb. I don't know of a really safe way to do this, but remove the fuel line from the carb and direct it into a container. For myself, I would add an extension to the line so as to make it long enough to get it out of the engine bay entirely. If fuel is making it to the end of the line, then you know that the carb has gas available. If not, you have a few things to check..... If fuel is getting to the carb, it pretty much has to be either a stuck float or a blocked jet.

Reply to
William Robb

Did it run properly BEFORE you changed the fuel filter and fuel pump? If so, then you need to go back and check your work and ensure you put your hoses on right and hooked everything up properly. If it didn't run right before replacing this stuff, then you probably replaced your fuel filter and fuel pump needlessly, because you didn't find the problem.

Fuel pumps can be tested with a pressure gauge. If its pumping, its probably good. If its spraying fuel out the vent, its no good. If you can blow through your filter, its probably getting enough flow through it.

Sometimes the screen in the pickup tube in the tank gets completely clogged. You can test this by having someone watch the fuel hose at the pump (take it off) and then wrap a hose with a rag and blow into the tank fill tube. Gasoline should come out the fuel pump supply hose. If it doesn't, you're probably gonna have to pull the tank pickup tube assy and replace or clean it.

86 Trooper Carbs (IIRC) are a pain in the butt. I overhauled mine once. I think you can get the fuel bowl off pretty easily to check the float and needle/seat, but you need a carb kit to replace the gaskets. Somehow you're not getting fuel, and I doubt its the carb - its probably in the delivery system, but these things don't usually quit overnight. Its probably something that was building up for a while that finally took its toll.

Hope this helps. Be glad you have a simple system. It makes it much easier. r/ Steve

Reply to
Stephen (Despammed)