98 Rodeo Computer

Hi, all. I have a 98 Rodeo, 2WD, 3.2L automatic tranny. I purchased it 2 months ago. after about 1000 miles my 'check engine' light came on. went to autozone for a check and was told 'small exhaust leak.' went to midas muffler and they couldn't find any leaks. reset the 'puter. a couple days ago 2 lights come on; "check Transmission" and "Check Engine." according to the manual, I should have to manually shift from 1st to 2nd to 3d if that light is on. my tranny still shifts w/o any problems. disconnected the battery to reset the 'puter. 2 days later the 2 lights came on again. Do ya'll think I have a bad computer? Thanks.

Reply to
Sarepta

For the check engine light you might check your gas cap. If its leaking that light will come on. Also, check all hoses connecting to your gas tank. I had a split hose that comes off a solenoid that controls tank pressure.

For the check tranny light check your fluid level and fluid quality (not burnt or dirty).

Sarepta wrote:

Reply to
Miles

You will need to go to the dealer and have them scan the system to determine the the cause-code P0706 could be the transmission mode selector switch which seems to fail if the vehicle has been in heavy rain or flooding. Part is located on the shift selector on the trans and tells the ECU what gear the trans is in. It also sends a signal to the dash indicator to show what gear it's in. The most common problem is improper gear indication on dash. Next would be harsh gear engagement when shifting automatically. Code P1860 is more serious and involves slipping clutches and the like which may be covered under the powertrain warranty.

according

Reply to
Joe D