Naturally aspirated 4ja1 motor

Hi,

Purchased an isuzu (Holden rodeo in Australia; 2.5L direct injection diesel) that starts very well, has little smoke under load and gets 43 miles/gallon. Bit of white smoke when idling cold. Only ever seen one other with same motor and it had a sweet exhaust smell too. Did these always have a rich diesel exhaust odour when new?

Checked pump timing through inspection plate infront of injector pump drive gear and the lower gear was one tooth anticlockwise of dot. However, without cover completely off, it is possible that the gear on the crankshaft is also one tooth CCW out.

Regards,

Dean Biddle.

Reply to
John Smith

Hi,

have had a Isuzu with a 4JA1 motor as well, covered more than 500k (km) over some years. Mine always had a not so good smell, whether at altitude (drove up to 3300m above sea level) or not. Was worse on cold starts in winter. Never had a starting problem. Injectors on older models were not as good, may be part of your problem.

Reply to
Diesel Fan

500k km, fantastic! My Trooper '99 never had a good exhaust smell either, but this winter starting problems for the first time. The battery needed almost 1L of water today (yea, I thought they looked after that at the yearly service) so I hope this helps... :-/ Otherwise its a great SUV. If its as long-lasting as yours it will outlive me!
Reply to
madiba