Cruse Control / Lights

This problem just started. 2002 Rodeo V6 - With cruse on, when I turn on lights (parking or head lamps) it acts like I press the break and disengages the cruse. If I turn the lights back off and click - RESUME - it cranks back up. Yes, works just fine without lights on. No, can not turn it on with lights on.

Any ideas where to start??

Reply to
John Martinez

You have a voltage leak somewhere that is leaking even a MINISCUL amount of voltage to the BRAKE lamp circuit.

Alos check the Grounds at the BARAKE lights, It be the cruise is seeing a slight increase in the resistance at that point.

Cruise is shut-off with a loss of ground (or more than 3 ohms) at the BRAKE light bulbs or the slightest amount of Voltage.

Reply to
I'm Right

For John, Please check this out: I'm betting that "I'm Right" is correct, and since you didn't DO anything that we know of to cause this to start (if you DID do something, like install a stereo, or wire up a trailer plug, or something else, then speak up now and let us know!), then I'd check to see if you have any dual filament bulbs in your brake light system. These would be 1157's or equiv - where the same bulb has two filaments, one for tail lights and one for brake lights. Often, one filament will break and bridge the other one, and thereby transfer power into that circuit. How do I know this? Experience is a hard master.

If you find a bulb that doesn't look right, replace it with a new one. They're cheap.

I'm not sure if your Rodeo has bulbs like that - some are all separate 1156 bulbs, which only have one filament per bulb, IIRC... but it wouldn't hurt to pull all the bulbs and look at them. Most of the newer cars use a separate, 1-filament bulb for turn signals, and that shouldn't be involved here, but I could be wrong.

If you find the problem, please post here and let us know what it was.

Steve

Reply to
GreenGas

Greengas hit the nail on the head , I was thinking of the trailer hookup module I had one let go and caused my headlight to comon when I braked

Reply to
""dave1645"