UK Isuzu Brakes (Pipes)

Good Day,

I have late 98 LWB Trooper (4JX1 engine). The brake pipes need replacing on it. Has anyone done this themeselves? If so, How difficult ?

I have not replaced brake pipes before but have friends in the trade who can show me how to make off the ends.

What diameter pipe? Is the diameter measured internal or external? What material should I get? What thread are the ends? Are there lots of different threads and sizes?

I have a specific query regarding the offside front wheel arch. I can readily identify the pipe going to the front offside brake cylinder, there are two more pipes which come down, one pipe appears to come from the ABS unit and the other from a T piece on the front of the brake master cylinder. They enter what appears to be two right angled unions fitted to the chassis a picture of which is here:

by where the front o.s. brake pipe terminates into the rubber hose. Two pipes come out of the rear of these unions and would appear to follow the main chassis back the car. I believe they are going to the Load Sensor Valve (Feed and return??). Can anyone confirm whether this is the case.

David

Reply to
David E.

David, first of all, I've never had to replace brake lines on a vehicle this young... not sure why on a 98 you'd have to... but no worries - you should be able to march yourself right down to whatever passes for your local corner parts shop (we've got Autozone, NAPA, Checkers, and countless others that will carry them) and get yourself the approximate length of brake line that you bend to fit. The ends are metric, and the diameter of the tubing is pretty standard - just tell them what year, make and model it is and they can look it up. The ends are already flared and have the flare nuts already installed on the tubing. Ditto for the flex hoses. Do you have that in the UK?

Mind telling us why you have to replace the lines on a vehicle that's less than 10 years old? Best, Steve

Reply to
GreenGas

I am having to replace the pipes because of corrosion to pipes and hose crimps mostly where the pipes terminate into the hoses. Our vehicles have to pass an inspection every year |(rightly so). Mine is a grey import originating from Cyprus (hot mediteranean island). In the UK salt is used on the road in winter, the brake pipes would appear to be some sort of steel (at least it is magnetic) alloy which where the coating has gone has corroded. I suspect the antirust treatments are maybe not be as robust on vehicles intended for drier climes, I wonder whether they use different pipe alloys but doubt it.

Because of the torturous route of some of the pipes I am making them up myself. The nuts which secure the pipes into hoses and unions have a marked bevel on the inside, the ones I can get from local motor factors do not have such a marked bevel although thread and the absence of an unthreaded shoulder are exactly the same. Anyone know whether I will be OK using these with copper bundy brake pipe? Local Isuzu dealer say they source their nuts from motor factors.

Best Wishes

David

Reply to
David E.