focus MOT failure

just taken the focus for its mot, it failed !! corroded brake pipe. one from the rear block to the NS rear. Cost to replace =A3167, sounds steep to me especially as the Garage made the pipe. Does it sound OK to you guys?

cheers

Reply to
Staffbull

Sounds buggering extortionate to me, but then I don't know what's involved in replacing it as it might involve removing bits of the car and making lots of bends in the pipe etc.

Someone who knows more will be along shortly.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Sounds VERY steep to me, the Ford part isnt anywhere nr that price! LOL

Tim,,

Reply to
Tim..

Just as I thought !!

as i had the MOT there I was pointed out that i would need to repay the fee for the MOT if I repaired it elsewhere!! bloody licence to print money!! would trading standards be interested do you think?

Reply to
Staffbull

The message from "Staffbull" contains these words:

There's no law, as such, against overcharging.

If you didn't like the quote you should have rung around to get others.

Reply to
Guy King

Just as I thought !!

as i had the MOT there I was pointed out that i would need to repay the fee for the MOT if I repaired it elsewhere!! bloody licence to print money!! would trading standards be interested do you think?

  • doubt if trading standards would be interested, they havnt done anything wrong !

they are in thier right to charge you for a retest fee if another garage or someone else does the repair, we do.

on the subject of the price it does sound a bit high, but then i dont know thier labour rate.

the nearside one is a pain in the arse to change as it runs around the back of the fuel tank and you have to drop it to gain proper acess for removal and fitment of the pipe.

if your not happy with the price get someone else to do the repair then take it back for a retest, ok you have to pay again for the retest but it still might work out cheaper for what the original garage were going to charge you.

Reply to
reg

Just been under the car and they have replaced all the rear pipes, failure note says

001 Centre rear brake pipe exessiveley corroded 3.6.B.2c

I was told one pipe, they have replaced them all without asking!!!

Reply to
Staffbull

Sureley there is a law that says they cant replace parts that dont need replacing without asking ????

I was told ONE brake pipe and they have renewed the whole of the rear

Reply to
Staffbull

what do you mean the whole of the rear ?

you have a nearside & an offside brake pipe both run by the fuel tank and join to the other halves of the front to rear pipes, perhaps on further examination with the tank lowered they saw the other needed replacing.

Reply to
reg

All I can see is that there are new copper pipes running to both rear wheels, when the car was up on the ramp I was pointed out one pipe that ran from a manifold type block to the passanger rear wheel (ie one pipe) everything off that manifold has been replaced !!

Reply to
Staffbull

not quite sure what you mean about the "manifold" type block, but perhaps on further investigation the others needing replacement, we have in the past failed one and found the others were corroded, these were replaced but not without consulting the customer first.

Reply to
reg

IANAM (I am not a mechanic)

At the end of the day, the brakes are an essential safety item -=20 basically the only thing stopping you from knitting clouds, possibly=20 killing someone else in the process.

If one was buggered, the rest can`t have been far behind, and it might=20 well have saved your life.

Yes, its on the expensive side, but its one of the joys of car ownership=20 :-} (that, and the proposed up to =A31.34 *per mile* road toll they`re=20 looking at introducing)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Why not ask first though? if you are wlaking through tescos you dont get the assistants throwing more food in your trolley Incase you were hungry in future !!! if they were corroded why were they not picked up in the first place? I'll phone VOSA tomorrow to see whats what

Reply to
Staffbull

The message from "Staffbull" contains these words:

You got a written quote? If not, I bet you will next time.

Never let any tradesman do any work ever without a written quote in your hot sticky hand.

Reply to
Guy King

Why not ask first though? if you are wlaking through tescos you dont get the assistants throwing more food in your trolley Incase you were hungry in future !!! if they were corroded why were they not picked up in the first place? I'll phone VOSA tomorrow to see whats what

ok the first thing you shouldnt do if your going the VOSA route is get any repair work done as it might affect your appeal if your going to appeal...........oh dear you've already had the work done !

this is the critia for brake pipes : Note: Chafing, corrosion of, or damage to, a rigid brake pipe so that its wall thickness is reduced by 1/3 (eg approximately 0.25mm for typical hydraulic brake pipe) is a reason for rejection.

Reply to
reg

I have always liked that one; 1/3 or approx 0.25mm typical thickness of the brake pipe

Hang on whilst I cut the pipe to measure it

Reply to
A C

Staffbull ( snipped-for-privacy@staffbull.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You really do have a persecution complex about this, don't you?

Reply to
Adrian

If we are into phsyco analasis time, you sound as if someone tells you you need something to be safer in your life you will part with cash for it !!

Reply to
Staffbull

In message , Staffbull writes

You were quite happy to accept the wisdom of this group when you were buying your Focus and we also prevented you from buying the wrong type of gearbox for your Focus.

You asked what people thought and they have told you. If it was my car, I'd want them to replace all the rear brake pipes, especially given the hassle of gaining access to them. Now if you don't like what people are telling you, perhaps you should ask elsewhere.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

when I replaced brake pipes myself before it's not that bad a job. Find a place that can make them up from the old ones. It's probably the work involved in fitting them and re-bleeding the system that costs the $$$. I will have to check the ones on my focus have a nice layer of undercoat or on them, to stop them corroding !

Simon

Reply to
mr p