1977 XJ6 headlight removal?????

Howdy all, I am attempting to remove the front fenders from my 1977 XJ6. The headlights need to be disconnected prior to the removal and I'll be darned if I can figure out how. I have the assembly off so that the plug inside is hanging there teasing me. I am afraid to pull the wires in case that's not what I am suppose to do but, the only other option I see is cutting them. If anyone can help me with this I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
boat73

I haven't got the answer for you, but I can contribute one thing. It is quite certain there is another way without cutting the wires, because the subassemblies had to be fitted and it wouldn't be in situ.

Reply to
alan4spamoffd

yup, thats what I figured but, the plug wires don't seem to want to come out.

Reply to
boat73

What exactly do you mean? Do the two halves of the plug/socket not come apart? There is a plastic doohdad that you squeeze and they should easily click apart. Or are your connectors the bullet type? They may be corroded together. WD40 them. If you're trying to get the individual wires out of the plug, I'm sure they weren't designed to do that. I'm in the dark here as I don't know exactly what connectors you have, but the XJ40 has snap together connectors all over the place. As a general rule, everything is designed to come apart for replacement etc. No wires should ever have to be cut, or metal flanges or whatever. Reminds me of the Jensen Interceptor I once had. You cannot clean one of the spark plugs without removing the engine and transmission! But that's unusual; I've never come across that in any other car, and some to think of it there's probably a special tool for the job....

Reply to
alan4spamoffd

I know this is hard without being able to see anything, thanks for all this effort. The two halves of the plug did come apart but the plug will not fit through the holes in the headlight assemply and the only other connectors are in the engine compartment, that just seemed wierd to me.

Reply to
boat73

Disconnect the headlight wires at the bullet connectors in the engine compartment, (they are inside the oval shaped holes just forward of the diagonal braces) and pull the wires through. You can tie a piece of string or fishing line to them to draw them back in later if you like.

Reply to
John Hudson