1994 Jaguar Sovereign 4.0

My wife and I have just bought a Jaguar Sovereign 4.0 1994 with almost every conceivable extra, FJSH and 78K on the clock. HPI clean as a whistle. Drives like a dream and in (almost) showroom condition. However, we have had little experience of Jaguars and like to address any problems in the bud. We would be very grateful for any comments you may have regarding known common problems and things to watch out for. Regards Paul

Reply to
Paul

Paul, First off -- your car is called an XJ40 even though the badge says XJ6. The XJ6 Series 1,2 and 3 were made from 1968 until '87/'88 depending upon which part of the world you live. Owners of XJ40s like yours have written a manual on the cars. It is at jag-lovers.org and will be the first best step for you to read.

The first ruleto keep in mind is that the '87,'88 and '89 XJ40 has very little in commonwith the '90,91,92,93 and 94 XJ40 -- even though they look alike. So becareful as you proceed in the future as to what advice and what parts youpurchase for your car. Cheers webserve

Reply to
webserve

I have one (1994) and it is the finest and most reliable car I have ever owned.

Rule #1 Follow the maintenance schedule religiously.

If the fluids in the car have not been replaced within the last 15000 miles (Chrankcase oil,tranny, rear end, coolant, brake fluid). Or you do not know when they were last replaced, REPLACE them all now. Do not top-up, replace. The added expense is minimal, but the advantage is starting out with a clean slate.

Then follow standard intervals.

They aren't the same animal as the earlier XJ6, but are a lot more reliable. Ford had gotten the bugs out by '94.

Richard H. Kuschel "I canna change the law of physics."-----Scotty

Reply to
Richard Kuschel

Hi Richard and others, Not all bugs are out on my xj40 -94. I have some problems with smaller things.

The memory for my seats will not work as it should. I can set the memory No1 and can hear a small beep. But If I change the chair from that position to another and then try to set it back again by pushing No 1, nothing will happen. The same if I try to set No 2, position. Anothe thin that is connected with this problem is that the mirrors will not work as they should. I know that there is a function that the mirrors can go downwards in Rewerse gear. But they should go back again to "my" position whern I select Drive gear. How do I reset the memory to default so that I can start over again with new settings? Do you have any clue? Do you know where to find a el-schematics for the mirror/memory? Anothe related? issue is the remote alarm/locking. When I lock the car with the remote (IR) I can hear one beep and when I unlock I can hear two Beeps. So far so good. But it says in the ovners manual that the sidelights should blink also, it doesn't happen on my car. Could it be related? A fuse? A bug??? I have tried at jagLovers, but no responce. There is nothing in Hynes Book about this item.

If you know someting, please help me...

Pepe Jaguar XJ40 Soverign 1994. Lovely Car.

Reply to
Pepe

Hi, I just got the following info from a friend in USA. Hope to solve half of my problems and perhaps help someone else.

Pepe

The mail from Mike Stone

Seat or Mirror - Loss of Adjustment Functions

86-148

Driver's Seat and Mirrors Control Module - Loss of Seat or Mirror Functions - Repair Procedure

MODEL: Sedan Range 1994 MY VIN 687219 - 701123

DATE: 4/95

ISSUE:

Loss of any driver seat adjustment function, door mirror adjustment function, or any combination of seat and mirror adjustment functions in 1994 MY Sedan Range vehicles from VIN 687219 - 701123, may be caused by a failure of the driver's seat and mirrors control module (ECM). If a function fails, it would cause the adjustment controlled by that function to remain at its last position. To prevent repeat failure of the ECM, perform the following action.

ACTION:

If the driver's seat and mirrors control module fails on a 1994 MY Sedan Range vehicle within the VIN range listed above, BOTH door mirrors must be replaced with revised mirror units (left mirror, part number HMD 3043AC) (right mirror, part number HMD 3042CC) when the ECM is replaced.

NOTE : A production change within the VIN range added capacitors to the door mirror motors. The capacitors, which were added to reduce radio interference, may induce an electrical resonance in the mirror circuit causing ECM failure.

The supply of revised door mirrors is limited. Use revised mirrors ONLY on vehicles that have a failure of the control module.

PARTS INFORMATION:

Do not order revised mirrors for dealer stock. Please order on a VOR basis only.

DESCRIPTION PART NO QTY

Driver's seat and mirrors control moduleLHB 2165AA 1 Door mirror-left side HMD 3043AC 1 Door mirror-right side HMD 3042CC 1 ============================================================================================= When this happened to my car, the mirrors behaved as you describe - they would only move downward - rather than being stuck in one position as stated in the bulletin. I first replaced only the ECU (beneath the leading edge of the driver's [U.S. - left side] seat) with a used unit. This lasted a few months and the problem recurred. I then replaced the ECU _and_ both outside mirrors, again with used units, making sure the mirrors came from a car outside the affected VIN range per the service bulletin (so the mirrors would not have the capacitors referred to in the TSB). This was 2+ years ago and that problem has not recurred, although at times when I enter the car and press the memory button the right-side outside mirror doesn't adjust to the proper position. If I use the mirror adjusting lever to move that mirror and then press the memory button it will then adjust to the proper position. Gotta love these electrical quirks, eh? Hope this helps.

Mike Stone Jet Black 1994 XJ6

111,xxx miles Springfield, Missouri USA
Reply to
Pepe