HydroMatic problem

Afternoon, all,

My son just bought an 82 that sat for about 8 months. The seller (a friend and neighbor, BTW) does not recall any tranny problem. The tranny worked fine for about 50 miles (4 days) and now has the following problem:

After a couple miles, either stop & go or straight run, it will loose all drive (like in neutral). Changing the gear selector has no effect (other than engaging Park). On restarting engine, operation will return, only to fail again after another mile or so, when the failure repeats.

Fluid is fine, looks and smells new. The vacuum modulator and TV cable appear normal.

Suspect pump either cloggs or sucks air, does this sound like a filter problem?

Thanks for your suggestions... Tom

Reply to
Tom Patton

and neighbor, BTW) does not recall any tranny problem. The tranny worked fine for about 50 miles (4 days) and now has the following problem:

drive (like in neutral). Changing the gear selector has no effect (other than engaging Park). On restarting engine, operation will return, only to fail again after another mile or so, when the failure repeats.

Reply to
Tom Patton

Keep trying, theres a tranny expert here somewhere...

drive, only to recover after restarting the engine?

friend and neighbor, BTW) does not recall any tranny problem. The tranny worked fine for about 50 miles (4 days) and now has the following problem:

all drive (like in neutral). Changing the gear selector has no effect (other than engaging Park). On restarting engine, operation will return, only to fail again after another mile or so, when the failure repeats.

Reply to
Scott M

drive, only to recover after restarting the engine?

Start a new thread with "PING: Gary G" in the subject line. He's the best damn AT guy in here.

Doc

friend and neighbor, BTW) does not recall any tranny problem. The tranny worked fine for about 50 miles (4 days) and now has the following problem:

all drive (like in neutral). Changing the gear selector has no effect (other than engaging Park). On restarting engine, operation will return, only to fail again after another mile or so, when the failure repeats.

Reply to
"Doc"

Thanks, Even tho the fluid looked great, dropped the pan and drained converter, replaced filter, removed a 1/4" of sludge from the pan, and gambled... Tranny doing fine last three days! If I DON'T have to clean the valve body, I will be amazed, but so far so good. I'm guessing the pump was being starved by some sort of blockage (unknown what, for sure) that must have back-flushed when dropped off the filter. Whatever... past 50 miles have been fine.

Reply to
Tom Patton

replaced filter, removed a 1/4" of sludge from the pan, and gambled...

good. I'm guessing the pump was being starved by some sort of blockage (unknown what, for sure) that must have back-flushed when dropped off the filter.

of sludge in the filter ;) Glad you got it going!

Reply to
Scott M