94 XJ wont run past idol

94 XJ6 Ok this is one for the books. About 3 weeks ago the car would not start. Checked for spark and have plenty. I checked the fuel pump and it seemed to be working. Changed the filter and it still wouldn't start. The repair shop said it could be the regulator. While looking at the manual I found the relays on the firewall. I pulled one out and it was full of a greasy green substance. I cleaned all the contacts and the car started. I had another instance a week ago where it wouldn't start so I again cleaned the terminals and it started. Yesterday while running to the store the car went to idol and I had no power. I stopped the car and it would not start. I fooled with the relays switching all the blue ones around until it started but all I get is idol. When I try to give it gas it wants to die. The idol is intermittent and fluxes between 700 in 1300. So bad relays or regulator? Or something else? TIA for the help
Reply to
JagFan

I would look at the throttle position sensor or the Mass Air Sensor. Internet troubleshooting is very poor ya know?

Blake

Reply to
Blake Dodson

It was the fuel pump. Why dont they just not run. Like in the old days :O)

Reply to
JagFan