99 XJR Knocking noise from left hand side rear

Help?

I have a knocking noise coming from the left hand rear of my 99 XJR. It has been gradually getting worse.

It only happens when travelling over uneven road surfaces, seems to be all the time on UK roads.

I have checked boot area and nothing is rattling or loose there.

I think it is something in the rear suspension, but I have just took it for its annual MOT and it passed with no problems and the chap couldn't find anything loose or with excessive play.

I realise it could be a number of things but I wondered whether there is something common that it could be?

Any thoughts / help muchly appreciated.

Thanks

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Higdon

Check your rubber tailpipe mount

Reply to
EdFielder

Try checking the stiffness of the ehaust mounting at the back - pipe rune close to the body that side & is v heavy, so not much excess play needed to allow pipe & body to clash - noisily!

Reply to
David Wilson

Thanks for teh two suggestions on checking the exhaust mounting, I had checked and couldnt seem to get enough play to cause a noise but i am going to get her up at the weekend and take a thorough look at all the back end. i will pay particular attention to the exhaust mounts.

Thanks again. Will advise if the weekend resolves it.

Reply to
Adrian Higdon

Hmmm.

My car had a strange knock on rough roads and it turned out to be a defective shock absorber (damper).

Blake

Reply to
Blake Dodson

I agree with Blake. While I am not familiar with the '99 XJR set-up, I have had knocking sounds from both the front and the rear shocks on my XJ40 because the rubber separators had deteriorated to the point metal was hitting metal. It started as a dull thud and increased in intensity proportional to the deterioration.

Webserve

Reply to
webserve

I had expensive noise from rear on same model - all occupants agreed on the source and the likely cost. I'm still gobsmacked because it turned out to be the sunshine roof panal riding up and down on the roof. A finger run round the edge of the opening with silicone oil effected permanent cure - still can't believe it!

Reply to
Mike Smith

Mike,

Thanks for suggestion however mine doesnt have the sunshine roof, so that counts it out.

But thanks for your suggestion.

I am inclined to think its probably the damper at the moment, but will have a look under her at the weekend.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Higdon

On my friend's Prelude, it was a golf boll in the trunk

Reply to
Vlad

Then there's the story of the loose nuts and bolts or even Coke bottle welded up inside body sections on the production line.

Graham L

Reply to
Graham L

The suggestion about the dampers which was made was spot on.

I understand this to be a fairly common problem on the CATS dampers.

Thanks to all for your help.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Higdon

Best story I ever heard was, a chap had some (Car!) rear end problem and took it to friendly mechanic for a day. When he arrived in the evening there was no sign of the mechanic but the key was in the car so he took it. On driving he noticed there was still an irregular knocking and this grew quite loud, but finally died away. On getting home he opened the boot - and found the unconscious mechanic.

Dunno whether it's true, but a good tale (tail, if it was a Jag) anyway.

Reply to
SPAMAWAY