knocking noise from the back end

having just passed the MOT with onlt a track rod end requiring replacement. i suddenly heard a bang from the back end and niw have a knocking noise on the OS rear wheel station. I have jacked up the back end and removed the wheel and can't find anything loose or with any free play. the sound gets worse under load. it is a 1990 xj40 4.0 sovereign any ideas as to where to go next would be gratly appreciated.

cheers Jon_H

Reply to
Jon Howitt

It's your mother-in-law trying to get out of the boot. Why did you lock her in there? Cheers!

Reply to
Classic Car Fair

she's too big even for the jag and i would never be able to lift her

cheers jon_h

Reply to
Jon Howitt

This sounds like a ride leveling system issue, if it's still connected. Look for oil leaking out of one or both rear struts.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

Jon, Had the same problem on my '88 when the top of the shock snapped off causing the shock to flop around a bit. Same bang when it snapped, same knocking noise when it drove and same inability to see anything wrong including when I pushed down on the car to see if the shock was gone. (good spring sets!!)

Webserve

replacement.

Reply to
webserve

I have found it eventually the Differential is knackered it looks like a bearing has collapsed on the input shaft as their is about quarter of an inch of freeplay with the propshaft removed.

Both wheels are stuck up in the air and i started her up and put it in drive and crawled underneath . the knocking noise was between the centre bearing,jurid coupling and diferential. there is no freeplay in the propshaft but on removal of the jurid coupling i can waggle the input shaft around quite considerably and it also grates and grinds when turned manually.

thanks for the previous info anyway

regards Jon_H

Reply to
Jon Howitt