99 Maxima - rattle sound - rear passenger side

Hello.

Took my 99 Maxima to my mechanic because of a rattling sound from the rear passenger side wheel. It really sounds like something is extremely loose and ready to fall off the car.

My mechanic found nothing wrong with the suspension, brakes, or anything in that area that could be loose. He said everything looks solid and is safe to drive. But didn't have an answer on the rattling noise.

Anyone ever hear of this problem? I've taken the wheel off myself and played around with everything. Also, the muffler is solid too.

Thanks! Doug

Reply to
Doug

If he's a good mechanic, he checked the shock rubber grommets. Have you checked inside the trunk for items that may have fallen into the fender area behind the wheel? Have you checked that the car jack is secure inside its compartment?

Reply to
willshak

He claims he checked the shock. But I would like to check that myself. Can you tell me where to find them? Top and bottom of shock?

One of the first things I did was look around the trunk, removed the jack, and felt around the bottom of the fender (where the jack is).

This is defininetly an outside rattle and has a metalic sound to it. The sound seems to get quieter when you make a left hand turn (the wheel bears more weight). Really noticable on right hand turns when there's a lot less weight on that side.

My next step is to take it the Nissan dealer to look at. Trying to avoid the cost though.

Any other thoughts really appreciated! Doug

Reply to
Doug

Hi I have the same problem on the same side of my 92 Primera (Infinity G20) and It was suggested that it was inside the damper that rattles, I found that if I have a heavy load in the trunk it stops, so you could try with a large bag of sand or such like and see if that stops and if it does then it could be the same reason. Trevor

Reply to
Trevor Smith

Check if the power antenna motor has come loose. Its just forward of the jack mount in the fender.

Another possibility: on our '97, when the front right upper strut mount went, the rattling sounded for all the world like it was coming from the back. Open the hood put your finger on the strut top nut in the center of the mount and bounce the car. If the nut moves relative to the mount, the mount is blown.

Reply to
E Meyer

Thanks Trevor. Can you tell me where I can find the damper?

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Thanks for the reply. I'll take a look. It has to be something strange like that.

Reply to
Doug

Sorry the damper is the same as the shocker. Trevor

Reply to
Trevor Smith

Not to worry. You are correct in calling it a 'damper'. The US 'shock absorber' is mis-named. The shock absorbers are the springs (or torsion bar suspension). The US 'shock absorbers' are the 'dampers' for the springs.

Reminds me of a story with my last wife. After taking the car to the shop to have the 'shock absorbers' replaced, my wife took the car out. When she returned, she asked if I had the shock absorbers changed as I said I did. I said yes. She says, "You better take it back because when I got into the car, I got a shock".

Reply to
willshak