battery discharching while driving

hi people a pal of mine has a 3.2 auto m reg jag and his battery is discharghing whilst driving he says the alternator is fine and has been checked by different people , i cannot figure out whats wrong - can anyone help please ? regards

ken

Reply to
knnymcntyr

Do you mean the ammeter shows a discharge all the while he's driving? Does the battery eventually go dead? (or could it be a bad ammeter) Has the battery been checked?

Reply to
WayneC

hi the a - meter shows a discharge whilst driving and the battery has been checked and also changed battery eventualy dies its flummoxed me , thanks for your reply

regards ken

Reply to
knnymcntyr

I'm no expert in this area, or this vehicle, but it seems to me that if an alternator checks out OK (that's a BIG "if"), and the battery has been changed (and goes dead, indicating the discharge shown by the ammeter is correct), then the only other possibilities are the wiring & connectors for the charging and sensing wires from alternator to battery, or the grounding wire from the alternator's internal regulator... or a horrific short, which is unlikely or you'd see a constant charge on the ammeter, not a discharge. I'd believe the ammeter, which reads the flow of current, and assume the alternator is bad, so I'd start by removing the alternator and having it bench-checked by a professional alternator rebuilding service.

Reply to
WayneC

Reply to
<kpara

I doubt the integrity of either the alt or the Battery. A draw that heavy would blow fuses or heat wires. The alt should charge the system so either the regulator or the battery is toasted.

Reply to
Blake Dodson

i thank you all for your kind help i will give everything a go and let you know the outcome kind regards ken

Reply to
knnymcntyr

Reply to
Jon A