Cannot start my old Jag

12 year old Jaguar Daimler XJ6 has only started once in 6 months. The first time I turn engine on engine fires but after that engine simply turns. Changed the fuel filter and checked spark is coming from spark plugs. When key is turned on hear fuel pump. Fuel tank is half. Car is rarely used and battery used to go flat so bought new battery about 2 years ago. When using battery charger the charger indicator shows it is 30% charged after 24hrs - but engine turns fine. One fuse (central locking) is blown.

One day about a month ago it started on first start and I drove around for about 10 mins with no problem. This was just after I changed the fuel filter and left it for a week. It fires on first start only and except for that one day it will not start.

Reply to
Jerry

Worth a try: Replace your plugs and just maybe you need 'fresh' fuel.

Reply to
Vassie Naicker

Jerry, Usually when these cars act squirrelly on start-up likes yours, they are in need of a CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor). What this sensor does is read the timing of the crank shaft in order to fire the spark plugs in the proper order as well as the proper timing. When the one on my '88 XJ40 went out, the car stalled at an intersection, started, ran and stalled again. The last time it did it before I replaced the sensor, the car ran beautifully, died, sat for a half hour, started and ran again with out an apparent problem. Once I replaced it, I have gone 20,000 miles with no stalling or ignition problems. If you have checked that you are getting fuel to the rail and spark to the plugs, chances are this is your problem. It is about a $60USD solution and you should carry a spare in the trunk. Also make sure that the one you get is for the 4.0 litre engine and not the 3.6 if your car is 12 years old. They do not swap. By the way, my 1960s Jag is an old Jag -- your 12 year old Jag isn't even broken in yet. I have 210,000+ miles on my '88 XJ40 and I plan to take it 300,000 to 350,000 miles before I do a re-build on it

Webserve

"Vassie Naicker" wrote in message news:9rmdnQi_YqyWc snipped-for-privacy@is.co.za...

Reply to
webserve

I'd suspect the fuel pump relay.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

sounds like either the primary power relay or the fuel pump relay has corroded plug ( pull relay and check the base , if green clean with brake cleaning spray and a de watering fluid in a can like crc or rp7 or wd40 )

Reply to
atec