Chev transplant

At the risk of offending purists, a chev 350 implant seems to be a viable option to having my 1886 4.2 sovereign engine rebuilt. (est $8000 $AU). Engine is lighter, more powerful and by all accounts better on fuel economy. I have been quoted $5200 AU for new 300 HP motor - retaining jag g/box. Any real down-sides aside from butchering a grand old lady?

Reply to
azzif

Nope... none.

Reply to
Blake Dodson

"azzif" wrote in news:42ff084e$ snipped-for-privacy@dnews.tpgi.com.au:

Many, the car then becomes worthless, the front end will lift on the highway, due to lack of weight distribution, you won't feel the steering and to beat all, it will cost a fortune to do.

$8 grand for a motor rebuild is rediculous??

You can get a repo swap over in Melboring for under $4 grand.

What you want to do will cost another $5 grand to get some one to modify it, plus an engineers certificate.

If you really want a V8 old Jag, flog that one as is and pay 3 to 5 grand for one on E-bay. For some reason, the people who stick chev V8's in them, sell them soon after for half the cost.

Ron

Reply to
rmcgrice

Hey Ron how's it going?

I was wondering if you could direct me to the chap making those custom cylinderheads for the v12?

Blake

(BTW- If someone wants to mount a chevy in a Jag then they just dont get "it" in the first place do they?)

Reply to
Blake Dodson

"Blake Dodson" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I Blake,

All is well down here :-)

I have not heard about that guy in some time, now. Just did a google and could not find anything on him anymore.

If I hear about it again, I'll give you the info.

No lumpers never do. What amuses me, is they sell it soon after converting it :-) Got to be something in that :-)

Ron

Reply to
rmcgrice

Try this company- they have piles of the old engines lying around at 399.00 US

EdFielder

With apologies to the Ron & Blake superiority club, rather than a smug " because " response, I was rather hoping for some input from someone who had actual first hand experience with the swap rather than the " I've heard" or "someone a mate of mine knew" brigade!

Reply to
wherwithal

With apologies to the Ron & Blake superiority club, rather than a smug "because" response, I was rather hoping for some input from someone who had actual first hand experience with the swap rather than the " I've heard" or "someone a mate of mine knew" brigade!

Reply to
azzif

In message , azzif writes

I once put a Rover V8 and 5 speed manual gearbox into an XJS. The XJS had been an insurance write off and came without an engine and box. There were no serious difficulties fitting it. I had to weld up some exhaust manifolds (headers) out of a pile of bits of bent tube and make some engine mounting brackets. I used the Rover propshaft shortened by 6 inches and the Rover radiator. I did without the air conditioning, it's not needed in the UK. I had the front springs softened, shortened their length by 2 inches and then had them rehardened and retempered. Obviously the performance was not as good as a proper Jag engine, with a top speed of about 115 mph but the fuel consumption was a huge improvement. I did about 30,000 miles with it. The donor car (Rover SD1) cost me £25

Reply to
David Toft

Well thats ok that you have no balls and need to ask everyone in the world before proceeding a project. Perhaps you should extend you narrow mind and google v8 Jaguars .

I said earlier that it should be an easy project.... but thats my experience not yours.

Good Luck fella.

Reply to
Blake Dodson

"azzif" wrote in news:s59Me.86242$ snipped-for-privacy@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

If you wish to be an idiot go look for similar idiots.

Have a look at E-bay as I said. Many a peanut has done what you want to, and again flogging the POS.

I doubt you will fins similar idiots to you, here.

However if you are that thick and cannot "Google", try this link:

That forum is full of people like yourself :-)

Have a nice day!

Reply to
rmcgrice

"wherwithal" wrote in news:r59Me.86241$ snipped-for-privacy@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

How many email address to you need??

Townsville is such a small shit hole!!

Reply to
rmcgrice

I built a 74 XJ12L with a SBC 400. I had a lot of fun with the car. I now have an 86 XJSV12. Sure the earthereal smooth V12 has no equal, but the Chevy convert had way more power (380hp) dyno tested, plus I had nitrous. That was really scary,heh. If you want to maintain the character of the Jaguar, the engine swap will not do that. Reliability? Well, if you have a well maintained "real" Jag, the later models are quite reliable. Building a "hot rod" Cheby conversion will be no more or less reliable. If you want a fun toy, sure hot rod it. Jags don't hold their value anyway. A really good conversion will be about 8000usd unless you can scrounge the parts and do most yourself. It cost me about 4000 to build the motor I wanted ,and another 2000 in running around collecting parts and other bits, if your engine is gone so are many other parts, just getting a new engine doesn't get you a new car. So what I'm saying is, unless it's your hobby toy, just get a used Jag motor,Adysthemic

Reply to
Adysthemic

Well, your 1886 is the oldest Jaguar in existence, and so is priceless....uh, assuming you made a typo, it's a 1986...then:

A V8 conversion is not "Butchery" when properly done, because no structural alteration is needed and the vehicle may be returned to stock. However, many if not most of these conversions are not terribly well done, and that is one reason for their poor reputation. The howling of purists, who have some legit objections but who on the whole are blowing horseshit up your hindquarters on purpose to scare you, is of course another.

Is it economic...? ONLY if you do it all (or substantially all) yourself and do not count your own labor as a cost, but as a benefit. Working on cars, and especially doing modifications that require planning, metalwork, design, fabrication as opposed to stock repair, is far more fun than watching TV or even chasing bimbos-IF you are of the right mindset to do this work. If it isn't, you aren't.

If you do the job all the way, you will have a car that is better than any stock Jaguar OR Chevy. Do a halfway decent job and you will have a car with some quirks but will provide reasonable, safe service. Do the job half-ass and you have a deathmobile.

I bought a "Lump" at estate auction and drove it 85,000 miles with nothing but gas, tires, oil and front brakes, and parted it out when the tin worm had well and truly killed it. The rear end went in a street rod, the engine and trans into a friend's pickup, and are still running today-another 100K plus miles-with only a valve job and a cam/lifter/pushrod kit (very cheap for Chevy). I consider that to have been some of the best driving I've ever had, except toward the very end when the A/C quit and the power windows did too. "Been There Done That".

If I were to do one I would look at a Ford or Mopar engine/trans just to be different, or maybe even a diesel. But the fact is given time or money these hybrid cars can be excellent. People who say otherwise are liars or emotionally disturbed agitators in my opinion.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

So what I'm saying is, unless it's

I'd rebuild one myself just for the experience. The EFI can be gotten rid of for better EFI using the existing manifolding, or Webers or SUs fitted. The worthless piece of shit Borg Warner is easily replaced with a 700R4 or you could convert to a 5 speed.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig