Tapping

1983 Toyota Truck 22RE engine. Engine was rebuilt about 1-2k miles ago. New timing chain, guides look great, so does chain. Checked the valve clearances and they seem ok (is it better to err on the side of too loose or too tight?) Oil level full, but I've got a nasty tapping noise coming from the engine compartment. Increases/Decreases with RPM, I'm wondering what I should tear apart next?

Spencer

Reply to
Spencer Fowers

In general, a little too loose is better than too tight. Avoids burnt valves that way. You can buy an engine stethoscope at some parts stores so you can isolate the noise. Or, in the past I have used a long screwdriver to listen to the engine by placing the tip against the valve cover or ? and the end of the handle to my ear. If it is a clicking sound it may be valve clatter. If it is a deeper sound it could be piston slap or ?. You really need to give more info on the rebuild to get much input from the group IMHO.

Just recently I had what sounded like a tapping or clicking noise that turned out to be arcing from the ignition coil to ground. It was easy to see after sunset.

Reply to
Dumpster

Reply to
Nathan

**Update** I'm pretty sure they were on (within .001) well, but I did notice it was hard to keep the rocker arm pulled "up"? on the valve so I could get the right clearance. Those spacers made sure the rockers weren't pressing on the valves, or that they were spaced from each other the right distance? I bought a mechanics stethoscope and although I heard general noise from under the valve cover the loudest tapping I found was through the oil pan. I just took the oil pan off to look at the pistons and crankshaft but haven't had a chance to take a peek. Can't see any type of debris or metal shavings in the pan though. Timing quieted down the tapping somewhat, but when I reinstalled the vacuum advance lines it came back about as strong as ever. It's a hard metal tapping, I had an exhaust leak before on the truck but this is too "hard" of a tap to be that. How tight should the valve cover be tightened? Those rubber bushings don't ever let the bolts get tight, how do I know when they've turned enough?

Spencer

Reply to
Spencer Fowers
**New Update** While looking at the rod cap bearings I saw the inside of the timing cover chewed up. Took it all apart, sure enough chain had eated a nice chunk out of an inner piece of the timing cover. Got a new chain and sprockets from autozone - $45, plus all the gaskets came out to $100--heck of a lot cheaper than the $600 a shop would've charged me. We'll see how it runs....

Reply to
Spencer Fowers