I need an opinion - I'm thinking about buying a Jag

A 1997 XJ6 to be percise. I found a VanderPlas with 44,000 mile on it for $17,900 and they will gice me 3,000 off on a trade in to boot. I'm looking for opinions from US owners of this model to tell me what they think of the car

- would they recommend it? - does it require alot of repairs? (I heard they were expensive) - is it good on gas? - would you recommend the extended warentee? (an additional 2 years for $1,700) - What are the draw backs (if any), I know the advantages!

All in all , sell me on the car. Its either that (my wife is salivating for it) or a Jeep Chereokee (with an XKE to come about 4 years down the road)

Thanks

Reply to
Stvinfl

This is a very good year for that car, very few quality issues. I'd advise you get it with a warranty, however, as repairs on Jaguars, as with all high end cars can be very expensive.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

For God's sake, man, if you're going to pass on a Jaguar because of a Jeep, at least make it a *Grand* Cherokee (a totally different model than the Cherokee)!

My wife salivates *in* her Phoenix Red 3.0 '02 X-Type Sport while I wail and gnash my teeth in her 'old' '01 Grand Cherokee. At least it's Inferno Red - and I've got an old 535is in the garage for spring. I like to think of the Jeep as a Future Race Car Tow Vehicle (TM) ...

Buy the Jag.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

I have a '94 and would like a Vanden Plas.

I would recommen it.

- does it require alot of repairs? (I heard they

Have had mine for 5 years and repairs have been minimal. I now need to replace the steering rack.

Still has been the most reliable car I have ever owned.

Prices can vary a lot on parts I have seen from $225 to $ 500 for the same steering rack (Rebuilt)

Milage is very good fro a large sedan, generally from 20 -24 mpg on highway at

70 mph.

would you recommend the extended

I'd skip the warranty and spend the approx $650 to have ALL of the fluids replaced and major tune up.

This is generally done at 30k miles, and wouldn't be necessary if it were properly done 14k ago, but very few dealers or owners are this meticulous.

I have an XKE also.

It is not as expensive to maintain as a Porsche, but requires a lot more maintainence than my XJ6.

Unlike the XJ6, the electrics on the E weren't all that great to begin with and now that they are 35 years old, require a total clean up of all connections, especially those in the dash.

Loose grounding straps are also a source of problems.

Plus the E has carbs, which though they really don't need adjustment very often, are much less effecient than the fuel injection and that will get you about 16 MPG.

Most of the problems with carbs on the E-Types are not with the carbs, but rather the points and timing which affect the carbs because they are vacuum operated. Carburettor is a French word meaning leave me alone. I haven't touched the triple carbs on my 6 cyl E in 20 years and they stay adjusted just fine.

I have even changed jet diaphragms in the carbs without requiring readjustment.

Richard H. Kuschel "I canna change the law of physics."-----Scotty

Reply to
Richard Kuschel