X Type opinions...

I am new to this group so excuse me if this has been addressed previously. My wife and I will be retiring in January and are considering treating ourselves to a new car. We are enthusiastic drivers and travelers living in Washington state and are looking for a comfortable, moderately high performance, reliable, all weather touring car. I have been very interested in the Volvo S70 R but have read some recent reviews of the Jaguar X type which has similar specifications, notably AWD.

Knowing the X Type is not considered a true Jaguar by many, I am looking for comments on the X type as a car - not as a Jag. I would appreciate any comments on comfort, reliability, performance, and dealer satisfaction. I would also like any information pro or con on the sport package - especially the tire/wheel option.

Thank you for any comments.

Jack

Reply to
Jack G

Should be S60 R - but I also like the V70 R - any chance the X Type Estate will be brought into the US?

Jack

" I have been very interested in the Volvo S70 R but have read some recent reviews of the Jaguar X type..."

Reply to
Jack G

Read the earlier thread labelled: "XJ8 Wins Top Gear Motoring ..."

Reply to
WayneC

Reply to
stuart8181

As background, I'll mention that I'm a dedicated BMW/Audi Quattro guy who is also a BMW CCA and Audi club driving instructor. I once *sold* Volvos, which is where I discovered BMWs and fell in love with the marque. I'm also an SCCA scrutineer at Road America I'm as pure a gearhead as you'll find.

The X-Type is *great* little car, the only caveat being that it *is* a fairly small package (shared with Ford Mondeo/Contour). If it's big enough for you to be comfortable, go for it. Ours is a 3.0 Sport

5-speed - the only one I've ever laid eyes on. It is Phoenix Red, which is simply stunning. While you and I know it's 'just' a Ford underneath, it is a *very good* Ford with substantial sheetmetal revamping and thought devoted to a number of little details that say "Jag-you-are".

The car is no M3, but it's certainly quick, quiet, and smooth. The handling is stellar if you don't mind the 'firm' ride in the Sport. I'm not as familiar with the non-Sport package. The dealership where I go is borderline obsequious and I have absolutely no complaints with the car. I'm struck by the way it impresses the unwashed masses

*much* more than a BMW or a Volvo ever will. There's just something about that leaping kitty on the hood.

Screw the purists. Buy the car because it's a ball to drive.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

Wayne,

Thanks, I missed that thread because I was looking for "X Type" in the headings. I knew there was some differing of opinions between the hardcore Jaguar folks and those who appreciate the X Type. Looks like it gets a little emotional at times...

Jack

Reply to
Jack G

C. R.,

Thanks for the comments. Your background and credentials are impressive and give your opinions a lot of credibility. (We owned a couple of Audi's, one was a rare 90 coupe quatro.) Guess we'll have to go try on an X type and see how it fits.

Jack

Reply to
Jack G

Reply to
Jerry McGeorge

performance and very comfy. Buy it! Paul

Reply to
taltos

There is much snobbery over the Jag X-type because it is based on a "lower class" car, the Ford Mondeo (not available in USA).

Fact is though, the Ford Mondeo is a class leader and all it needed was the right badge to compete with the likes of BMW and Mercedes - so thats what it got.

The 3.0 car is exceptionally quick, the 2.5 is fairly hot, the 2.2 V6 has plenty of lazy torque, while the diesel is nearly as quick as the 2.2 but offers twice the economy (although people recommend you go for a BMW 320d if you want a diesel).

One thing that impresses me the most about the X-type is the styling. It is substantially smaller than the Jaguar XJ, but unless you park them side-by-side you really have to go and look at the badge to tell the difference!

Reply to
Oliver Keating