Need feedback on Xk8 Jag Soft top - convertible

Need feedback on Xk8 Soft top - convertible. Model Years 1997 to 2002 *************************************************************************************
We live in the San Francisco, Bay Area, California.
I am thinking of buying a used XK8 jag. I am looking at model years 1997 to 2002. I was thinking of a coupe first but now I am looking at the convertibles as well.
My biggest fear with the soft top (convertible) is...will it give me problems ? How reliable are they ? Do they breakdown frequently ? How expensive are they to repair ? What are the typical breakdowns ? Generally how many years do they last from the date of original purchase ?
When buying such a soft top car - what should I be looking for - to make sure the soft top is working well and is sturdy?
Any comments / input would be highly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kim Smith
PS: I do not know much about cars.
You're very fortunate living in California. It hasn't stopped raining here in England since 2006! That said, there are few nicer cars that the XK8 Convertible, though in this country servicing etc. can be expensive I'm guessing that repairs are cheaper in the US than they are here. Reliability is good, they don't break down often, and last well as long as you keep them serviced regularly. As far as the soft top is concerned; when buying raise and lower it as often as you can and check with your watch how long it takes each time; that way you'll be sure that the motor is working consistently. Buy the newest low mileage vehicle that you can find; you'll love it!
Richard L