Idle increase when engine hot - any ideas

Hi Just completed the London Brighton (UK) rally in my S3 E and noticed that on a long run like this the tickover increased from its normal

600 to 700 to around 1200 which made the car coast on tickover. Anyone have any thoughts as to why this would be? If I drive for about 30 to 40 mins by which time I would have thought the car was fully up to operating temp it stays fine, this was a 4 hours drive though. Its the UK spec engine so has no emission stuff or any USA specific Cheers Shaun
Reply to
Shaun