Sierra "fuel starvation" when starting from hot - any ideas ????

I have a Ford Sierra 1.8CVH which is now regularly letting me down.

I have managed to establish the pattern of usage that 'reliably' causes a breakdown. This would be:

Run the car on a long enough journey. Park it for about 30 mins Re-starting when warm ALWAYS results in the engine stopping after approx 1/4 mile. No fuel is delivered to the carburettor. The engine can only be re-started by using a manuai priming device (Apparently in the standard AA Patrol toolkit)and then the car will complete it's journey fine.

Starting from hot (after parking less than 10 minutes) or from cold, there is NEVER a problem. It seems a problem only when the car is hot and is left more than 15 minutes.

The problem occurs both with the 'fuel accumulator' in-line AND with it bypassed (see

4th fromlast on the common problems list). Any ideas... I am beginning to suspect the [mechanical] fuel pump but I do not understand the pattern ??

Thanks in advance...

Steve Harvey

This

Reply to
Steve Harvey

I have often found on older sierras with the pinto that the pump can fail to deliver fuel at cranking speed but usually is fine once the engine is running.

A replacement pump is usually quite cheap.

Reply to
MrCheerful

fuel vaporisation perhaps? obviously you've had a look and seen that there is no visible wear round the carb which would lead to a leak? pump is another thing you can look at but I don't know if it's electrical or mechanical

Reply to
dojj

I've seen afew times on the CVH that the fuel pump actuating rod (individual item) wears down at the one end and fails then to operate the diaphragm 'well' enough. Long and short of it is no fuel at the carb. Why it should fail when hot though I dont know. Whip off the pump, extract the rod and compare it in length of a new one at your local ford garage.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..