intermittent air-con

I have a 1991 2.9L Sovereign with air-con that only seems to turn itself on (if I leave it in the on position) after a while. It was working fine before, but now it's getting cold and it has stopped being reliable and I need it to work so that I can defrost the windscreen! Any ideas as to what might be wrong? Low on R134a perhaps?

many thanks, JJ

Reply to
erehwon