Just bought a Scouse Waggon.

A 3 yr old Xtype 2.0d Classic. ( 27K miles) Great motor, but it takes about 4 miles before the temp gauge registers anything, and even on the motorway the needle moves around in the lower half of the dial. I reason that the sensor might be located in the rad header tank,( unusual) my gauge might be faulty, or more likely my engine coolant thermostat could be stuck half open. Two garages have shrugged it off, saying that diesels always warm up slowly, so it is not unusual. Any words of wisdom from those who should know?

Thanks P

Reply to
Pointer

Hello,

Typical for a diesel to take a while to warm and again typical to feel that your engine never warms properly because of a low read on your gauge. A diesel requires a much larger cooling system when compared to petrol because of the much higher operating temperatures. Get that diesel pulling over a mountain-pass and watch that needle rise.

Of course this does not mean that you could'nt or should'nt replace your thermostat. It is a cheap part and readily available.

BD

Reply to
Blake Dodson