Leaping Cat

Hi All,

I just bought a leaper from Ebay, its spring loaded at the base it will be going on a Uk spec 3l S - Type.

Question is are they Legal in the UK to put on cars and will the M.O.T be affected ........... I remember a few years back that they were banned in the UK along with the Mercedes 3 pointed star, but now they are spring loaded I wondered if there now ok.

Paul

3.0L S-Type
Reply to
Paul

Legality is doubtful, but not an MoT check item. As far I as I am aware, there is no specific legislation covering after-market fitments, only new cars. Unlikely to get stopped for it anyway....the police have got better things to do. Problem comes if you are involved in an accident in which a pedestrian gets injured by the item in question. Your insurance company might not be prepared to cough up for a big compensation claim if the part is not type-approved in the UK and you haven't notified them of its fitment. Probably not a significant risk. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

David Betts ( snipped-for-privacy@motorsport.org.uk) The Classic Car Gallery:

830847103&n98038677

Reply to
David Betts

Have had a large leaper fitted to my 95 XJR-6 (X300) since Feb 02 and

80,000+ miles,

No problem with the police or MOT. :-))

Last night some A** H*** tried to remove it from bonnet (Hood) with force :-((

Tomorrow I will try to ridge up a switch to the underside so if someone pulls it will set off the alarm as it word if you opened the bonnet (Hood)

Wiring It up to a Stun-gun/device would be better :-))

If anyone knows how to do this please email me ...

Derek

95 XJR-6 Dorset U.K
Reply to
Derek