Locking Wheel Nuts

Hi all,

I have a yr2000 S-type, I needed to get the front wheels balanced the other day, the garage I used for years snapped the 2 lugs off on the locking wheel nut key trying to un do the locking wheel nut. I looked at the key and locker and to be honest it wasn't there fault its a poor design with only two contact points. ( seems the nuts have been over torqued by the previous owner/garage)

Any way got two new keys from Jaguar today just in case, went back to get the wheels off, First key sheared straight away using a wheel brace, they did not want to break the second key so manufactured a threaded socket wedged it on to the locking nut and got it off.

I have been back to Jaguar parts Dept and now bought new re designed locking nuts and key that have 4 locating points and a proper socket Cost £66 for a set of four.

So a bit of Advice if you have the old type still fitted that have the chrome cover cap over them I would strongly suggest getting them off and getting the new redesigned ones. It may save you allot of hassle on the hard shoulder of a motorway in the rain.

Paul

S-Type 3L V6.

Reply to
Paul

Man I hate it when I try to get my nuts off and I break my tool trying...

ORIGINAL POSTER: Remove one of your lugs and go down to a parts house and find a metric lug that will work.

B.D.

Reply to
Blake Dodson

LMAO! Can't say I suffer from that problem, thank goodness!

[...]

: > S-Type 3L V6. : : : Man I hate it when I try to get my nuts off and I break my tool : trying... : : ORIGINAL POSTER: : Remove one of your lugs and go down to a parts house and find a metric : lug that will work. : : B.D.

Reply to
273