When it is raining?

Guys, We have an XJ40 4.0L 1994 Sovereign that sometimes is a bugger to start when it is has been very damp or raining overnight. This is first time in the mornimg, not once the car has been started during that day. After a dry night, or if run earlier during a rainy day and re-started, there is no reluctance whatsoever. Any ideas? Regards, Paul and Karen.

Reply to
snowy

Don Young

"" wrote: > Guys, > We have an XJ40 4.0L 1994 Sovereign that sometimes is a bugger > to start > when it is has been very damp or raining overnight. This is > first time > in the mornimg, not once the car has been started during that > day. > After a dry night, or if run earlier during a rainy day and > re-started, > there is no reluctance whatsoever. Any ideas? > Regards, > Paul and Karen.

Where I would begin with a problem such as yours is through covering all electrical connections on the ignition system with a petroleum jelly like vasoline. Petroleum jelly repels water so any rain that might be getting in would be blocked in effect.

You can be quite liberal with the application but a covering is all that is required. All connections especially areas like dizzie?s can be coated. I have found on other brand vehicles that often moisture inside the dizzie is the cause.

Good luck!

Reply to
Discouri

Don, Discouri, Thank you very much. We shall give it a go and let you know how we got on once the rain has returned. Paul adn Karen

Reply to
snowy

Paul and Karen, The XJ40 is known to have poor electrical connectors in the engine compartment. There are owners who have "cleaned" the inside of the engine area only to find themselves unable to start the car for days. I my own experience, I went hours with a hot engine before the connectors dried out enough to restart the first time I degreased the engine bay. Most of the problem comes from the connectors on the front right part of the engine bay. Slathering Vaseline or some other type of grease will make for an unsightly mess under the bonnet. Over time the grease will melt and drip and you will lose the effectiveness, the problem will return and you will be hating the day you "Vaselined" up the car. I suggest that you go through all of the connectors, dry them one by one and give them a shot of WD-40. WD-40 was originally designed to improve electrical contacts. I rarely ever use it for squeaks since it evaporates rather rapidly. Once you have done that, after each connector you do, start the car to make sure all is well. If the car does not start -- you have found the problem connector. If it does, you have protected the car from future moisture problems at that connector. Then, as extra precaution, I wrapped my connectors in plastic and covered the assembly with black electrical tape. It is an inexpensive, effective and clean solution to the problem. Finally, the problem may be with the distributor cap as others have mentioned. With a 1994, the chances are you may still be running on the original cap. I suggest you go out and get a new one. Caps are designed to not let moisture in and if yours is letting in moisture on a damp day, than there is a problem. Change the cap, clean the base of the distributor and if you still feel the cap may be the problem, seal the base with a clear silicone caulk. If you use that old fashioned tool -- your finger -- you can take a small amount of silicone and simply fill the space between the cap and the distributor base with a clear smooth nearly invisible and water-proof line of caulk.

Webserve

"snowy" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
webserve

Wait until its dark and open the bonnet. Start the car. Get a hand pump mister and lightly spray the spark plug wires and distributer cap and watch the light show. Now replace all the spark plug wires and say "Nice Kitty". Car will be much more behaved now.

Dave

webserve wrote:

Reply to
tes