S-type Transmission Whine

I recently bought a 2008 S-type. The car is SUPER quiet but I do hear a whining sound coming from the rear end at about a quarter throttle. It stops at heavier acceleration and stops when there's no gas applied. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Stephen

Stephen Horrillo

No Sounds like maybe a bearing

Reply to
old man

In a really quiet car you can hear the gears meshing in some gearboxes. Set at the factory most gear sets run for thousands of miles without a noise, but on occasion a few get past that make some noise.

That said lets consider that you don't know the history of this car. Perhaps Skippy down at the oil can drained your rear end gear lube, but gosh, he did not refill it. You can drive many miles before slight wear of the ring gear becomes noticed as a harmonic whine. You go to the shop and they discover its empty.. That noise that got you back to the shop is now permanently worn into the gearset.

Who knows. I will tell you that the gearset is perfectly sound and will last several years making that slight whine. High strength sets whine. My Supra whined... wait that was the Turbos. ;-) Seriously. Its only an annoying sound, but check the oil level at least. Its part throttle whine, the gears are singing.

BD

Reply to
Blake Dodson

The car is brand new. Only 1200 miles so far and it whined since I got it.

Reply to
Stephen Horrillo

Take it to the dealer. Don't take no for an answer if they say it's normal. You have a Jaguar warranty, use it. Could be rear wheel bearings, could be the differential. No possible way to know other than to put it on a hoist, run it up and take a stethoscope to the suspect areas. You should not hear a whine, it is completely abnormal. My 01 XK8 does not do that and it has

87K miles. You bought a high-end new car and you have every right to expect it to work as such.

I'm betting on the differential.

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook