S-Type R Brake Dust

I have had my platinum S-Type R for about 3 weeks now. What a great car!! I looked at the BMW 545i, the Audi A6 4.2, the MB E500 and the Lexus LS430 and found the Jag to be the one I really liked. So, I bought it. No regrets in 1300 miles.

Only problem, the copious amounts of brake dust on the wheels is a pain in the arse! Will it ever cease, or will the wheels require cleaning after every drive to keep them looking nice?

Tim

Reply to
Tim

'No' and 'not quite'. I'd try to track down some PBR (fka Axxis, fka Repco) Deluxe or, if you want a more aggressive pad, Metalmasters. They dust in a light grey color that doesn't show as much on the alloys. In addition, they're probably better pads for more aggressive braking.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; broke that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

Hello,

Well, brake dust buildup is very common and it is caused by the way air flows through the wheel. It actually helps to cool the rotor when you drive spirited but the negative is that unsightly dust. There are products designed to minimize this.

EXAMPLE:

Buying more aggresive brakes will only contribute to the dust build up process.

I also recommend that you use the appropriate wheel polish regularly to make cleaning easier.

Cheers,

DieInterim

Reply to
DieInterim

Eeek, I'd hate to put those dust sheilds on an S-Type R. Those big Brembo brakes are way too cool looking to cover up. I understand that its common and have dealt with it in the past on other cars with high performance brakes. But never quite as bad as on this car. I was just hoping this was due to break in of the pads, but it doesnt seem so. I guess cleaning the wheels frequently will be a matter of course.

Oh well, I'm totally lovin the car. 390HP in a four door sedan is a wonderful thing. :)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tim

I have the same problem -- and was told that it is because the new pads are asbestos free - but surely in the new age a better than a dirty product can be found - absolute pain

Reply to
wpa

Hi Tim

I have had my S-Type R for almost 18 months and I can tell you it does not get better. Its a small price to pay though for such a spectacular car. At least my 'R' spends less time at the dealer than the 3Ltr SE I had previously, which was an absolute dog.

How do you find the gearbox? I had a lot of trouble initially. Often when pulling away or slowing to almost stopping then pulling away, the gearbox would get confused between 1st & 2nd. When it eventually selected a gear (after less that a second) the engine revs had risen so that drive came in with a thump, often spinning the rear wheels in damp or wet conditions.. The box has been reprogrammed a couple of times now and the problem is almost cured but just now and then it does it again.

I had a new instrument pack at about 10,000 miles - handy because it zeroed the clock. I recently had new fuel pumps fitted because the fuel gauge played up. The rear axle has just been dropped to fit a new electronic park brake assembly. The car has done about 27,000 miles now.

I have a phone and voice command. Unfortunately the microphone used for the phone and voice command is absolute crap. Jag have tried several remedies and none have worked. I eventually fixed it myself by cutting the jag mic out and replacing it with a Nokia noise cancelling mike. Now people can hear me properly on the phone and the vehicle now responds correctly to voice commands - most of the time. I think the main problem is road noise so the the voice system cannot distinguish words from background noise unless a suitable mic is fitted, and the road noise is higher in the 'R' because of the wider & lower profile tyres.

One thing I have learned with Jag is to expect the car to be back at the dealers every 6-8 weeks but the 'R' is worth it.

I had Audi's for 17 years prior to my 3Ltr SE and rarely had problems. I have just seen thier announcement of the new A8, the top of the range will be a 4 wheel drive, 450BHP V12. That has got to be worth looking at.

Regards

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Greenhill

So far, a month and a half of trouble free operation. My only complaint is the brake dust. Funny you mention Audi. We had our Audi bought back by AofA through Lemon Law arbitration. I guess it just depends on the car.

We dont have a phone in the car. My car is one place I can go to escape from the phone. So, its not been a problem. I do agree about the road noise in the R. Its noticable. Oh well, its nitpicking really.

I'm really hoping for trouble free ownership, but that might be a pipe dream. I guess time will tell. Its not a daily driver, so maybe that will work in our favor.

Thanks for the reply

Tim

Reply to
Tim