S-type window regulator problem

In April of this year, my 2000 s-type driver-side window slid down into the door frame while I was driving the car. There was 1 week left in the warranty, so I felt really lucky. When I called and told my dealer what happened, they said, without any hesitation, that is was a bad regulator. They fixed my car, and then 3 weeks later, after my warranty had expired, my left rear window slid down the door. I took it to my local car repair shop in my neighborhood. They ordered a Jaguar window regulator and installed it for that window. That very same day, when I was driving home from work, the right rear window slid down the door. That was 3 windows in 3 weeks! I took it to my local repair shop the next day. They ordered another Jaguar window regulator and installed it for that window. They also tried to get Jaguar to reduce their price for that part since it was the 3rd window regulator in 3 weeks, but Jaguar refused. Anyway, this September, the front passenger window (the 4th and final window) fell into the door. Again, my local repair shop ordered another window regulator and installed it. Now I am wondering how many other s-type owners are having this same problem. If the 2000 s-type is going to have this problem this year, is the

2001 s-type going to have this problem next year? I think I better sell my Jaguar before 2008, because it seems these regulators only last 4 years.

Paul Haupt (St. Louis, MO)

Reply to
N. Haupt

You have made an error in not returning the car to your dealer, which I assume is Moore Jaguar, for the second and subsequent windows. This is a known problem with S-Type that they will pay for under Goodwill. However, since you've had an independent do the work they'll try to avoid paying for them on the technicality that an "unqualified" service provider did the work. Best thing for you to do is contact Jaguar Customer Assistance immediately by phone, follow up with a written demand for payment and include all paperwork. Be persistent.

Reply to
SoK66

I realized I made that error (not taking the car to the dealer) as soon as the 3rd window fell down. But the reason I took the car to my local repair shop (which is a very reputable and well established shop) was not only because of convenience, but I wanted their take on what was wrong with the window situation. I was thinking perhaps that some type of gripping device had just come loose, and that the regulator is just something that they blamed whenever a window fell down. My biggest concern now is not necessarily the thousand bucks that I spent on the last three windows. I am more concerned that I will just be driving the car and a window is going to mysteriously disappear into the door. I could be on a trip, or driving in the cold, or rain, or snow, or have valuables in the car, and suddenly my car is unprotected. I'm also concerned that Jaguar hasn't taken any measures on addressing this problem of which I am aware. I really do like the rest of the car.

Paul Haupt

Reply to
N. Haupt

Not slamming the doors with the windows down will help a lot.

Reply to
lesleyb

I doubt that would help at all. The back windows were very rarely opened, and I never left the front windows opened when I left the car, so the doors were rarely closed with the windows down. The windows would just fall down while they were in their normally closed position. It is definitely a Jaguar defect, and not something anyone could prevent. I believe more and more s-type owners are going to become aware of this problem very soon.

Paul Haupt

Reply to
N. Haupt