The strangeness of rear fog lights

With the engine off, how come I can turn on the rear fog lights independently from the front fogs when the master light switch is set to headlamps but not when it is set to sidelights?

Is this a safety feature? The manual does not elaborate on the reasoning behind this. Why don't rear fogs always work independent of front fogs?

Amin

1991 XJ6 Sov
Reply to
Amin Mohadjer

Amin,

The law regarding the use of fog lamps states that they can ONLY be used in fog, falling snow or when visibility is below 100 yards. In each of the above cases the law also states that headlamps MUST be used therefore you should never use foglights without headlamps. That is why the switch is wired as it is. You will of course still see some vehicles whereby it is possible to switch front fogs on without headlights. Not only is this illegal but pointless as front fogs are not designed to illuminate the road ahead but rather the nearside of the road and the lane marker. I just wish that people would use both front and rear fogs correctly and not think that it looks cools to drive with front fogs on during the hours of dusk nor switch them on at the slightest sign of rain thus dazzelling oncoming and following traffic but looking like a motorised christmas tree!. Thanks for listening and I shall now step down from off my soap box!!

Reply to
Briarfields

Reply to
Briarfields

Amin,

The UK law regarding the use of fog lamps states that they can ONLY be used in fog, falling snow or when visibility is below 100 yards. In each of the above cases the law also states that headlamps MUST be used therefore you should never use foglights without headlamps. That is why the switch is wired as it is. You will of course still see some vehicles whereby it is possible to switch front fogs on without headlights. Not only is this illegal, but also pointless as front fogs are not designed to illuminate the road ahead but rather the nearside of the road and the lane marker. I just wish that people would use both front and rear fogs correctly and not think that it looks 'cool' to drive with front fogs on during the hours of day or dusk nor switch them on at the slightest sign of rain thus dazzelling oncoming and following traffic by looking like a motorised christmas tree!. Thanks for listening and I shall now step down from off my soap box!!

Reply to
Briarfields

Agreed...but with a caveat. Some vehicles (US spec VW Corrados for instance) have such horrible mains that the fog lights are needed just to see the road.

This is >NOT< my experience with Jaguars however, and it's really irritating to be stuck behind someone with rear fog lights on, who doesn't realize just how bright (and annoying) those rear fogs are in non-hazardous situations.

"I'm sorry, all my money is tied up in currency." W.C.Fields

Reply to
KimBrennan