What have I found??

Hi,

I just called on an antique Tbird with 17000 miles in the local classifieds. The thunderbird was sold but in conversation with the guy he said that he was selling his parents house and had to get rid of a basement full of stuff that his father had left behind. (That is where the tbird came into it.)

He also said that he had a 1963 Jaguar in the basement too. IT had

24,000 miles and hasnt been driven since 1966. I asked him a few details and he said it was a 4dr V12.

I dont know anything about jags (except that my boss has a nice 1957 xk-140) so I started searching the net. I havent been able to find any 1963 4dr V12 cars. Did he tell me a wrong year maybe or is it just that I dont know what i am looking for?

If this is actually a 1963 V12 4dr, what model would it be, what would the car be worth, etc.

I am going to meet him next week to see the car but I would like to know a bit about them before I do!

Thanks! JEFF HAYLEY

Reply to
Jeff

Jeff, Often times, because of the dual over head cams on the XK engine, it is mistaken for a V-6 or a V-12. MOST of the original Jaguar saloons in the

60s were 6 cylinders. There is an exception to this with the Daimler 250 which had a small V-8 engine. While there are a number of these cars still around, they are not all that common.

Chances are, the guy is just mistaken. The easiest way to determine the cylinders is to simply count the wires coming off the distributor. Most of these early saloons were not built with a platform that could handle a V-12.

For further information go to

This is a Jaguar historywebsite with a listing of engines. If you go to the home page
you can see photos of the saloons andyou can get an idea of what you are looking at when you see the car again. Webserve

Reply to
webserve

Hi Jeff, I don't think the guy knows any more than you do. If it's a 1963 model it can't be a V12, the first V12 saloons were the XJ12 Series I or Daimler Double-Six built in 1972. A '63 4 door car must be a MkII or S type or maybe even a Mk 10 (MkX). Some pics of these models are at

Some people who have never seen a twin overhead cam engine look atthe Jag 6 cylinder and think it's a Vee engine. AFAIK there aren't manyV12's in the US. Value depends on what car it really is and its condition.If it hasn't been driven for 37 years the engine is probably rusted upsolid. Every rubber part would be perished etc etc.

Reply to
John Hudson