X-type 2.5 SE gearbox/clutch fault.

2003 (March) Bought from new, now 90,180 miles. I have a problem with clutch/gearbox?. On starting up the clutch pedel when depressed dropped half way down and felt like something had come off or slipped. Have to now try and select a gear before starting the engine, can then drive off using the clutch as normal, albeit further down in operation. Depressing he clutch whilst driving disengages the engine as normal. Difficult to select gears, very notchy. I have to double de clutch when changing down most times, making me think the syncro is faulty but can change down at times as normal. I have checked the fluid level and is ok. My son has informed me, that he thinks , although a master cylinder, this operates a clutch cable to the gearbox, this is a new concept to me. Has anyone experienced this problem before please. It has been regulary serviced and has been a very reliable car, up to now. Thanks in anticipation. Roy
Reply to
zak