MGF Clutch problem

I'm sure I remember reading on this group comments about the bite point on the MGF clutch being rather high, at the top of the pedal travel.

Mine was exactly the same. I have a 97 MGF, bought with 20,000 on the clock, it has now done 78,000.

My clutch has always been on the heavy side, I drive many different types of car, usually one or two a week, these are hire cars for meetings etc. Most modern cars have very light clutches, a lot different to my MGF.

Two weeks ago I got into my car and depressed the clutch pedal and it stayed down on the floor. As I looked into the foot well it started to rise back to the normal position slowly, when it had returned I depressed it again and this time it came up a little quicker.

A few pumps on the pedal seemed to return it to normal and the car drove fine for the rest of the day.

Each morning during the next week I had to go through the same sequence, I decided that rather than get it looked at straight away I'd use it as it was until it gave up completely.

That day arrived last week, on the third time I depressed the pedal it gave way and I both felt and heard the clutch fluid force its way out of the system somewhere.

I took the car to my local independent garage who had a look for me. I needed a new slave cylinder but also the clutch operating arm was seized inside the gearbox/clutch housing and couldn't be moved.

They removed the gearbox and replaced the faulty parts including a new clutch kit.

I now have a clutch that is very light on the pedal, as light as any of the hire cars I drive, and the bite point is now at the bottom of the clutch travel, just as it lifts of the floor.

My car is now much easier to drive and my wife thinks it's fantastic now that the clutch is so light!

Reply to
Nick Mason