xj40 tires

I already need new tyres for the Jag. I have been using Pirelli P4000 (205-15)which seem to have a nice ride and good grip but don't seem to last long and are noisy. Any suggestions for the new set?

-john king Redondo Beach CA

Reply to
jk

John, You are going to get as many opinions regarding tyres as there are tyres!! Personally, I won't use Pirellis. They are a great ride and they handle great, but they wear fast and if they sit for more than a couple days in one position they develop a flat spot -- which is most annoying. I have been running a set of Generals on my XJ40 which have driven well and handled well. They have started to wear down after 40,000 miles, but I honestly can't say if that is the tyre or the way my High School son drives the car to school every day.. I have 205/75-15 Firestones on my mid 60s Jag which is my daily driver. The car handles VERY well and has no road noise from the tyres. I have heard a LOT of good things about Kumho tyres as well.

Webserve

Reply to
webserve

I'm facing the same issue. There aren't many tires available in that size that are V-rated or above. Michelin MXV4 is the only other one in that class, so far as I can find. If you're willing to use an H-rated tire, the Firestone Affinity LH30 looks good... it's about $20/tire cheaper and has better traction, comfort, noise, and wear ratings than the Pirelli.

WayneC

Reply to
Jon A.

Yokohama AVS DB Series 2. I run on both my XJS and my XJ12. Excellent tire for Southern California, nice ride, good handling V/Z rated, and cost about a hundred bucks a tire mounted and balanced.

Dsybok

They don't offer a 205/70-15 in that tire... so what size did you substitute?

Reply to
WayneC

Reply to
tech27

look into continental, don't underestimate the brand

have em, love em ...

wear well, ride well, very low noise, average cost.

jk wrote:

Reply to
gary

I dont have 15" wheels, my cars are 1994 and 1995 both of my cars take

225/60R16s.

If they dont have your size, ask them if they have anything similar , even if the sidewall is a little shorter or taller.

Dsybok

Ah, there's the problem for a Jaguar with 15 inch rims... unless you are able to purchase 16 or 17 inch rims (if you can afford that expense, and assuming you can find a rim and tire width that fits your car without rubbing... I don't happen to know whether the later model rims fit), I think your only choices in a V-rated or better tire (which is what Jaguar specifies) are Pirelli P4000 or Michelin MXV4. I am not aware of any other V-rated tires in sizes close enough to substitute, and many tire sellers won't install less than a V-rated tire on a vehicle that specifies a V-rated tire as original equipment (they are afraid of lawsuits, I suspect). Unfortunately, neither of the 15-inch choices are rated very highly by owners for ride and noise comfort, and the Michelins, especially, are quite expensive.

The current lack of V-rated tires in 15-inch sizes is not unique to Jaguar.

Reply to
WayneC

Unless of course you buy some bridgestones.

Reply to
Blake Dodson

What model Bridgestone?

I'm in the US; the only "suitable" Bridgestone I found at Tire Rack is a Q-rated snow tire (Blizzak WS50), judged lower than Michelin & Pirelli in most categories on dry pavement, and sold out for this season. There is also a Dunlop Q-rated winter tire (Graspic DS-1), which is judged even lower and also sold out.

Reply to
WayneC

The closest rolling radius sizes to a 205/70-15 are: 255/60-15 and 235/65-15 @ approx plus 2 revolutions per mile 215/70-15 @ approx plus 7 revs/mile 225/70-15 @ approx minus 8 revs per mile

Good luck trying to find decently-judged V-rated tires in those sizes, either, and then, of course, your speedometer will read incorrectly. No other 15 inch tires are even in the same revs/mile ballpark.

Reply to
WayneC

Winter tires. Oh, well, who needs speed rated tires in the snow? Get a UNIMOG.

Blake

Reply to
Blake Dodson

BTW: I run P235/45R-18 Bridgestone Potenza S-03. Speedo...bah. Who needs it when you have a tachometer.

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Blake, your tire recommendations aren't real helpful when you don't even mention what vehicle you have; the guy who started this thread is trying to find tires to replace his stock 205/70-15 tires (on an XJ40, I assume)... he's not looking to buy a new car or even new wheels.

The speedo CAN be important... for example, if your new tires are smaller in diameter and add 10% to your odometer reading, your car will be worth less when it comes time to sell it. If the tires are larger and subtract 10% from the speedo reading, you need to adjust your speed accordingly to avoid speeding tickets.

Because of the weight and performance of the XJ40 and XJS models, Jag equipped them with V-rated tires (mostly for the sidewall strength, I assume), and many tire dealers, at least here in the US, will not install lesser-rated tires than specified by the vehicle manufacturer. There's no simple way that I am aware of, to determine if another size tire will fit without rubbing on turns and bumps, or if a particular aftermarket wheel & tire combination will be satisfactory so as to be able to change the tire diameter to make use of better tires.

As I mentioned, I will soon face the same issue with my 89 XJ40, and it's depressing how few and how poor the available choices are (basically just the two: Michelin MXV4 and Pirelli P4000), despite their high cost, so I too am looking for SERIOUS recommendations.

Reply to
WayneC

You are doing fine. =)

Reply to
Blake Dodson

You know you guys are right. I come here to blow off steam and the result is that I DRIVE ALL OF YOU FREAKEN nuts. However there is a positive benefit to my community from all of this believe me.

I go out everyday and deal with so called IT professionals and executives that just care about making the company look like they are losing money so that they can justify laying off wonderful folks. The end result is that they then can pay themselves even more money. It s amazing that AMerica is still around after you see how vampires suck corporations dry.

But anyway I go an train, consult, demonstrate procedures, and deal with totally unrealistic folks all day long with an unfettered smile. Its a heavy burden to carry. So then I pop onto to computer while I am having caffine withdrawl and let it fly.

I am truly sorry to all of you out there lurking, I am just an asshole. I really misssed my calling in life...I was meant to be a Drill Sargent. But beside all that I DO help and I DO provide imformation to people that I DO BELIEVE have tried to help themselves, others are time wasters.

I was going to leave the board, however I take great pleasure in having chosen this venue to oooze and I now will stay. CONGRATULATIONS!

DieInterim

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Hi "jk"

After all the chat here I don't know if you are any the wiser. I suggest you check this site out, you may find something here to suit your needs.

Chris

jk wrote:

Reply to
Chris Halpin

It's only a matter of time.

Count yourself lucky, I'm one of the many that got "downsized" out of an IT job at age 55 so the new CEO could get his extra millions.

I agree, you can be very helpful when you want to be; I was disappointed that you were throwing junk into this thread.

BTW, it's "sergeant"... I was drilled for 10 weeks by one in Navy boot camp, a Marine :~) I remember he used to refer to his wife as "my long-haired bunkie".

Reply to
WayneC