XJS AUTO stuck in park

BUGGER,

just had to be towed home after my auto 5.3 xjs stuck in park, the shifter stick does move but feels rough as hell. Is it the linkage from the stick to the box or more seriously the gearbox itself? prior to that happening the gearbox was running perfect with no clues that it was about to jam, any ideas. I had parked on a step downward slope and didn't use the handbrake, just relied on the park position to sop the car from moving.

dave

Reply to
Daveyboy

Did you try jacking up a rear wheel to release the tension on the gearbox? sometimes works, had that with a S-Type.

Lobby

"Daveyboy" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:bhn7gb$2g$ snipped-for-privacy@titan.btinternet.com...

Reply to
Lobby

You may have bent the "Parking Pawl" the pin that fits into a hole to "Lock" the transmission when in the Park position,

Paul

Reply to
Paul

You had to be towed home?

When you parked your car on a steep slope, you undoubtedly had your foot on the brake, put it in park, and then took your foot off the brake. The car rolled forward slightly, till the weight of the entire car was forced against the parking pawl. The tow truck driver who really knew what the heck he was doing, should have simply put his bumper against your bumper, and pushed your car back up hill about an inch or so... just enough to take the pressure off the linkage. At that point, you would have been able to take the car out of park, put it in gear, and driven happily away under your own power, having learned the importance of using the Parking Brake on a hill BEFORE putting the transmission in park.

Have you tried starting your car and putting it in gear yet? I think you are about to discover that you just paid for a tow job you didn't need.

Reply to
Hector_Berlioz

In my own XJS, I had the unfortunate experience of the guide tube which contains the linkage cable just under the shift lever becoming very soft on a very hot day and bending, preventing the cable from doing anything other than jamming. I removed the console cover and was able to straighten the fitting and reinforced it with a wraparound sheet metal piece I made on the spot to prevent bending and binding. I never had another problem with it during the many years after. In my case, the car was on level ground and the cause wholy different from the slope parking scenario. In the case of the rough moving stick, it was actually a result of that cable moving and binding, turning the cable housing with it around its mounting screw, bending the lot. The movement was not in the plane intended and therefore did not result in the correct and smooth movement from gear position to position. Instead, with the kink in the cable, I found myself in drive up against the curb, though the lever was at reverse. It was very disconcerting and made me think more wrong than proved to be the case.

(Did the slope parking thing twice, too, before understanding that problem and preventing it with parking brake.)

Reply to
jaguar06

Had a similar problem in my 84 where I couldn't get it into drive. I took the console off and found the shifter hung up on a groove it had worn into the backup light switch "ball" (the switch screws into the shifter bracket from the side near the front; mine was an aftermarket switch, not the original)... it's conceivable yours is hung up on the other side of the ball.

Reply to
WayneC