STUCK IN PARK

I went to grocery store with no problems or any indications of any problems with car at all. I have a 94 Toyota Camry, 4 cyl, 4 door. I started it up and it would not BUDGE out of park. It starts up, everything goes on as usual. It's just stuck.

A friend tried rocking it back and forth and tried again and nothing. Someone said it could be a solenoid problem. Another said they thought a coin or something might have dropped into the slit where the shift gear is and its stuck.

I lost my job 2 weeks ago and do not have money to get it towed or repaired. I could not go on interviews for a job as I had no transportation. I'm in a catch 22 situation. If anyone has any idea what they think it could be and how to fix it I would truly appreciate it.

God Bless,

Reply to
carolann

On my wifes' 97 Camry there is a square cap in front of the "P" on the consule. When you pry the cap off there is a button underneath. Pressing that button releases the shifter. Hope this helps.

Reply to
lobo

Yes, pressing that button will deactivate the shift lock and should allow you to put the car into gear. This happened to me not long ago in my '92. This was just a minor inconvenience, but come to find out the same thing that was causing this was also causing all of my brake lights not to work, so you might wanna get that checked out as soon as possible.

-Corey

lobo wrote:

Reply to
360glitch

==================== In that case, check the brake switch at the top of the brake pedal and adjust if needed. The brakes have to activate before the car will shift out of Park. The over ride button temporarily defeats the shift interlock.

Reply to
Daniel