00 Cherokee Sport a/c problem

A/C runs for a while then stops cooling. I think I've heard this is core freezing or something to that effect?

Is this something I can fix on my own?

thanks. c

Could be freezing but the more common cause is low charge - I'd check that first. The other two freezing issues are internal moisture freezing and plugging the expansion valve or simply water on the evaporator core freezing and blocking airflow. The latter is easier to determine as it will reduce the amount of air you feel and the output will be cool and stay cool (or at least cooler than ambient) while the former will actually result in air that is warmer than ambient. Low charge will be similar to expansion valve icing. Unless the system has been open to the air and you live in Houston with 99.9% RH, I'd be looking at the charge level real hard.

Reply to
Will Honea

turns out there was something in the "a/c housing" that was blocking the drain, so it was freezing up.

dealer removed the blockage and it's all good now.

thanks.

You lucked out. Last time that happened to me, the plugged housing over flowed and dripped on the wife's feet - which turned the problem into an emergency in a hurry as we were driving through South Texas in July at the time.

Reply to
Will Honea

When driving these vehicles in hot weather, "normal" behavior on stopping for fuel is water dripping from the firewall/floorboard area. You learn to look for it instead of being alarmed.

Earle

** Posted from
**
Reply to