'02 Lerado

Had the engine light come on steady and the dealer scan indicated something to do with a"lock up"function of the transmission that is to enable a few extra miles per gallon.They could not find any info about the code the scan was giving them.They would clear the computer and after several weeks it would come on again same code.After going back 5 times I finally got a file number and told them to fix it or I would invoke the lemon law. They took the Jeep and pulled the Trans and said a seal was leaking and repaired it.That was 4 wks ago and the light has not come back on.I want to know if it is possible to disable the"lockup" function so the scan would not pick it up?I'm not sure at this time if a drop in mpg has occurred.Thank you.

Reply to
Joe

Why do you think they would do that nasty trick to disable the torque converter lockup? It would only come back to haunt them. Since they removed the tranny it is very likely that they corrected the problem. A functioning lockup TC is very easy to see on a test drive - the engine rpm will drop as you back off on the throttle. It's a more subtle jolt than the normal shift. With a 4 speed auto it acts as if you have several extra gears. If I recall correctly, in the XJ tranny the TC will lock in the three highest gears.

There is a computer that controls the shifting and lockup, located underneath the glovebox. That should have been checked early on during the troubleshooting.

John Davies Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies

occurred.Thank

Reply to
Joe

Unplugging the TCC (torgque converter clutch) or otherwise disabling it won't get past the onboard computer, and the light will come back on if that is what was done. I don't think that the dealer would have done that.

Further, it is unwise to disconnect or otherwise disable the TCC. A torque converter that does not lock up produces an enormous amount of heat, which will ruin the transmission. Your buddy that did that didn't gain anything except a broken transmission from the inevitable failure due to overheating.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Newton

overheating.