Free Wheeling Hubs

What are they for and where and when do I disengage/ engage them and for what reasons? And whats likely to occur if I keep driving my landrover knowing nothing about them!?!?

Thanks,

Tim

Reply to
Tim

It will not do any harm to your land rover while driving on road with your hubs locked or unlocked. The locked (on) position is the same as having standard wheel hubs fitted . For off roading or 4 wheel drive you need to put them in the locked position,otherwise you will only have drive to the rear wheels. Do not drive it on the road in 4 wheel drive as it will handle in a very strange way. especially on corners, hard to explain but if you want to try ,do so slowly. When the hubs are in free (unlocked ) the half shafts, diff and front prop do not turn while driving on the road in 2 wheel drive. Should make the steering little lighter maybe and some say you get more MPG, althouhg i cant say i noticed any more on my series 3 with free wheeling hubs. Hope this helps a little GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

In article , Gary G Jones writes

The general opinion seems to be that you should engage the hubs every so often (even on the road) to splash oil about that would normally be splashed about by the rotation of the standard hubs.

When my 109 was on the road I always had the hubs engaged and it saved me from having a serious accident when I broke a halfshaft on a hill. If I hadn't had the hubs engaged, I'd have lost both drive and handbrake and my right foot holding it on the footbrake would have eventually given up.

Reply to
John Halliwell