92 W250 won't start

My 92, W250, 360 V8 won't start. Some initial tests proved it has no spark. So, I tried to check for voltage at the coil primary with a test lamp. Nothing. Got out my scanner and checked for codes, none. Went into the actuator test menu and did the coil check. Has good spark. If the distributor was not outputting pulses from the pickup coil I should have fault code 11. (No distributor reference signal detected during engine cranking.) Is there something I'm missing? Any "backyard" distributor tests I can do to be confident I have signal?

BTW: The truck ran perfect the day before yesterday. And, it rained last night. (If this was an old Nash I would expect it not to start after a little rain:)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Have you tried a timing light? If you have spark it should flash when cranking. I've never tried it but it should work on the coil wire too.

-- Ken

Reply to
Nosey

Found it. Pack rats or some other rodents, ate the wires just past the distributor connector. Way up under the emission solenoids on the passenger's side valve cover. This is not going to be fun to repair.

This makes about ten pack rat repairs on my vehicles in the last three years. No more mister nice guy, I need to get serious and get rid of them. They got another car of mine three times and I still haven't found the last problem in it. This is the second time they got this truck in the last month. First time they ate the wires off the temperature sender for the ECM.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Try soda pop; cola, or fruit flavors, but no diet pop. The little buggers can't burp so . . . . .

Set it out in shollow dishes, but keep it freshened up every 8 hours or so.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Probably a gang of teenage packrats. You know how they act when they get together.

Especially bad if they know the law can't do anything to them until they're over 18!

SMH

Reply to
Stephen Harding

I set 4 traps last night. Nothing. Guess I should go buy a Dodge wiring harness for bait:)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Reply to
Wrench007 via CarKB.com

Maybe a nice 4 gauge :-) Since the wiring harness is no good anyhow!! Lorne

Reply to
Lorne

My daughter had a herd of packrats. She got 5 cats and gave them the run of the place. (Just 2 cats left now) No more packrat problems. The cats do tend to leave them in a pile if they find any. The cats sleep with the Great Pyrenees dogs. All one happy family. Bob AZ

Reply to
Ace

My daughter had a herd of packrats. She got 5 cats and gave them the run of the place. (Just 2 cats left now) No more packrat problems. The cats do tend to leave them in a pile if they find any. The cats sleep with the Great Pyrenees dogs. All one happy family. Bob AZ

Reply to
Ace

Borrowed two traps from a friend, set five traps last night. Got two pack rats. Now what do I do with them? Relocate? Find someone with a pet snake? Tie a string to them and let my stupid cat see what she's supposed to catch?

BTW: Both were caught in my "Have-A-Heart traps. One of his has a counterweighted door and the bait is in a screen cup so they can't eat it. Looks sort of home made. Neat trap, looks like it could catch multiple rats. If my dog hadn't peed on it, it may have worked:( I'm going to hose it off and try it again tonight.

Al

Reply to
Big Al