on board air

Bit overkill, but while reading through the latest industrial pr0n mag I stumbled across this vendor. What caught my eye was the cfm and psi claims. Of course nothing is going to be cheaper than a salvaged AC compressor, but what the heck.

70 and 150 cfm systems available Up to 175 psi Fits most popular work trucks Smallest and highest output in its class Air-on-demand technology 100% duty cycle Mounts UNDERHOOD 2-year limited warranty

Not sure if they sell to individuals or not.

Reply to
DougW

Looks nice, but...

I looked a the application list and the big one only fits into the F250-F550 SuperDuty, while the smaller one will fit into the 2500+ GM and Dodges as well as the Ford. No Jeeps are listed at all. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

True, but that never stopped someone from making it fit. Just cut a hole in the hood for some clearance and ... :) And who knows, someone might be using an F250-550 for a tow vehicle.

Reply to
DougW

Those are high volume rotary screw compressors with oil sealing between the vanes. The oil has to be extracted from the output air, hence the proprietary tank that goes with it.

The other issue is mounting and drive belts. The 70 cfm unit would take something like 40 hp to drive it at full output, double that for the 140 cfm model. That means heavy duty belts, heavy duty pulleys, and serious mounts. The data sheets indicate that the units are driven using a second set of pulleys on the crank, means you would need plenty of clearance from engine to radiator.

I'd expect > Bit overkill, but while reading through the latest industrial pr0n mag

Reply to
RoyJ

True, but that never stopped someone from making it fit. Just cut a hole in the hood for some clearance and ... :) And who knows, someone might be using an F250-550 for a tow vehicle.

Reply to
Kate

"RoyJ" wrote I'd expect one of these to cost mid thousands of dollars plus install.

Reply to
Kate

Ditto Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

"Tomes" wrote A vision of Doctor Octopus invaded my little mind there..... Tomes

Reply to
Kate

I like the concept of towing an IR compressor behind the Jeep! I bet I could pick one up surplus cheap!

Reply to
PeterD

Don't count on the "cheap" part!! I keep an eye on my local tool market, the 100cfm and up towables do not go cheap. Too many lawn irrigation folks want them for blowing out the sprinkler lines to prep for winter.

Reply to
RoyJ

"PeterD" wrote

I like the concept of towing an IR compressor behind the Jeep! I bet I could pick one up surplus cheap!

Reply to
Kate

What's that Lassie? You say that DougW fell down the old rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Sat, 27 Dec 2008 15:21:46 -0600:

you know those have a gas engine in them right?

Reply to
dan

There is no engine, they are belt driven rotory compressors.

Reply to
DougW

What's that Lassie? You say that DougW fell down the old rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Sat, 3 Jan 2009 20:52:09 -0600:

Your right. I was thinking of another type. Ooops

Reply to
dan