1991 cherokee - engine oil smell

My '91 Cherokee is putting out a oil odor (like when you remove the valve cover gasket). It becomes obvious when I am at a stand still and the engine is idling. The smell is now becoming offensive. Is there something I can do OR look at. Is there something like an oil breather pipe? Any ideas?

Reply to
Andrew Como

does it leak on the ground? Where at? KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

I've heard that the valve cover (4.0 l) can develop a leak at the back end.

Reply to
bowgus

If you look under your car yoy will find that the exhaust pipe crosses right under the join between the engine and the gearbox. A oil leak in the following places will end up dripping down right on the pipe when at standstill: Valve cover, rear main seal, oil filter fixing.

oil

Reply to
Odd-Inge