NP231 lubricant

I was wondering anybody can tell me what kind of fluid used in NP231 transfer case. The dealer said ATF+4, Haynes and car parts shop said using Dexon3,Mercon Auto transmission fluid.

I already changed the fluid using Dexon3,the noise from t-case is still there. Should I use ATF+3 or 4? It's a 92 cherokee Laredo, 4L Auto.

thanks

Reply to
Herb

Herb did pass the time by typing:

1993 NP231 states Dexron II, Mercon, Mopar ATF Plus (type 7176) 1.6Qts (till it dribbles out the top fill plug)

Dexron was dropped from the Chryseler/Jeep compatibilty list back in 1997.

Modern versions of those are acceptable.

ATF+4 is a pure synthetic for vehicles newer than 1999 and probably not correct for your application. Jeeps says it's required for the latest NP diff, but your diff was made way before ATF+4 existed.

Your noise may not be the fluid, it may be the link adjustment or a stretching chain. However, it's cheap enough to try it again with a ATF+3 fluid.

That's what I use, but then again I have the NP249

Reply to
DougW

For the majority of the vehicles that use ATF+2 or ATF+3 ATF+4 is the replacement the Dealer is correct see the TSB Link

HarryS

Reply to
HarryS

HarryS did pass the time by typing:

Interesting. Guess I'll go with +4 next time I drain the xfr case. Although I don't like the bit it says about not being able to tell water contamination by color anymore.

Reply to
DougW

Also note the EXCEPTIONS at the bottom. The AW4 used in the XJ's is on that list. So it's Dexron for 4.0L Cherokees.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Thank you everybody for the input. The t-case has a constant noise at 2 WD, more noisy at 4WD. Doug mentioned I might need to adjust linkage, I guess it might not very difficult to do it. What if it ia caused by a stretched chain? Anyway to repair?

Reply to
Herb

Herb did pass the time by typing:

A stretched chain requires replacement (dropping of the t-case) and is a fairly involved procecdure. It's hard to damage the chain unless the case has been ran low on lube for a long time or your turning some serious tires The linkages usually just create buzzing if they have shifted and are now touching the body. (if the sound goes away when you put a small amount of pressure on the t-case shift handle, then it's probably the links)

It's hard for me to get any more ideas without actually hearing it myself. It could even be a U joint that is failing and sending vibrations back into the case.

Reply to
DougW

Find a mechanic to replace the chain before you also need sprockets.

Reply to
dick