1998 Jeep Cherokee: Reset Keyless Entry?

I just bought a jeep and the keyless entry isn't working. The previous owner hadn't used the central locking mechanism for quite some time (fuse was removed), so I replaced the fuse, and replaced the batteries in the fob. Central locking now works, but the keyless entry still doesn't. How do I reset the keyless fob with the car?

Reply to
Weatherman

When I bought my '00 XJ, the PO said the keyless entry fob batteries had died. He replaced them and said the fobs still didn't work. After pressing the lock and unlock buttons about a hundred times, both fobs now work. Go figure.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Take it down to the local Jeep dealership and ask the service guy if he can reprogram the fobs to work with the jeep, when I had mine done, he hooked up the OBDIII scanner to the vehicle and did it that way.

Kev> I just bought a jeep and the keyless entry isn't working. The previous

Reply to
Kevin in Iowa

If yours is of the same "quality" as that of the ZJ series, the little switches under the thumb buttons go bad, more correctly get dirty and don't make good contact. They can be cleaned but you'll want to be familiar with obnoxiously small electronics to do so.

If this is the 2 button remote, try reprograming it. e.g.

Carl proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Reply to
philthy

It's the original fob and I just replaced the batteries. I'm trying to avoid going to the dealer because from what I understand they charge $75-$100 to "reprogram" the fob, though apparently reprogramming is just a matter of playing some tricks with the buttons and car - like Lon's example (which doesn't apply to this car apparently because this one is radio not IR).

Thanks for the tips so far - keep 'em comin'!

Reply to
Weatherman

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

FWIW the factory shop manual for a 97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) says "Transmitter programming must be performed with a DRB scan tool." Page

8P-4
Reply to
Howard

On 12 Nov 2006 07:59:15 -0800, the following appeared in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by "Weatherman" :

This worked for me when I replaced the battery in the factory fob:

Bob Casanova

I have a 97 GC and searched for months to find instructions to do it myself because the dealer wanted $38.00 to do it. After finally giving up I went to the dealer, paid $40.00 for waiting and 5 minutes later my remotes were working. I had bought two remotes off Ebay and found out that my vehicle will only accept programming from 2 remotes. I had

3 total. So now I have a spare but I'll have to pay again. I had found instructions to reprogram a 94 Chrysler LHS I had, so some cars there are shortcuts and some you have to pay for... Good luck.

Reply to
Falcon63

Reply to
Weatherman