2000 Jeep Wrangler Fog Light Mod Questions

I have driven in fog so thick, that you could not see 10 feet in front of the vehicle with the headlights on. I still maintain that in dense fog, the headlights reflect way too much light back into the driver's eyes.

Tom

snip

Reply to
mabar

Thanks Doug. It does say: "Front fog lamps shall not be used in substitution of headlamps, when headlamps are required." I would think that headlights would be required at night, so if it's a foggy night it looks like it would be illegal to run fogs alone in Oklahoma.

I guess that just shows that some laws don't make sense (to me at least.)

:)

Tom

Reply to
mabar

mabar did pass the time by typing:

We had a law here that said if the business didn't have a hitching post in the front you could ride your horse in. Till someone did.

There are a few other "jems" in the laws here and I'd imagine other states have their share as well.

Reply to
DougW

They call that out driving the lights. You need that low beam on or you won't have time to stop from the time the lights let you see something coming.

Mike

Mike Romain

Headlights should be used in bad visibility whether at night or during the day.. not just for the visibility of the driver but so that the vehicle can be seen by others.. in this way, if there is a necessity for fog lights, then there must surely be a necessity for headlights.. headlights are tied to tail lights.. it is, in my opinion, a criminal act not to use headlights in times of reduced visibility.. regardless of how laws are written, we have an obligation to other road users to ensure that we can see and be seen..

-- History is only the past if we choose to do nothing about it..

Reply to
Mike Hall

You are preaching to the chior, Mike.

I frequently turn my headlamps on just because I can.

Reply to
CRWLR

CRWLR did pass the time by typing:

What amazes me is that some people don't know to turn the headlights on when they are driving down two-lane highway in the daytime. Without those lights oncoming drivers can not see you.

Reply to
DougW

Canada has running lights that are constantly 'on'.. unfortunately, many Canadians think that these are acceptable in bad conditions.. what about the @#&$ing rear? Many Ontarian drivers are obviously not choir members..

-- History is only the past if we choose to do nothing about it..

Reply to
Mike Hall

Agreed.

Reply to
mabar

Many Ohio drivers don't turn their headlights on during rainy, gloomy, gray days. Some of these idiots have silver or gray color vehicles that make it almost impossible to see them against a rainy, gloomy, gray background.

Sheeze!

Tom

Reply to
mabar

I never understood DTRs. If we need lights in the day time, and I accept the notion that we do, then why not just have a circuit that turns the lights on after the motor starts? If the lights turned on with the engine, then the driver would only have to concern him/herself with deciding if high beams or low beams were needed.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
twaldron

I once owned a Touring Class Yamaha, and the lighting system cam on after the engine started. If the engine was switched off, then the lights died until the engine came back on again. Surely, Detroit et al can design a lighting system that comes on with the engine and shuts itself off again after the engine goes dead. Why did they give us DTRs when they could have given us Auto-ON headlights that do the same thing, but do it better?

Reply to
CRWLR

Ford now owns a company who had lights that would do that back in 1986. If you left the lights on all the time they came on with the switch, went off when cranking and back on once the switch returned to the run position, turn the car off and everything went dark till next time. I'll give you a hint, it was a company known for safety (legit) and bad drivers (not always true:-) Dave S

01 TJ
Reply to
Dave Shannon

I actually have just this on my 98 Toyota Sienna minivan. There is a setting on the stalk that turns on the lights and then turns them off when the key is turned off and the door opened. I love it and wish I had this on my TJ. It uses the LOW beams, thank goodness, and has the rear lights on as well for additional safety. If there is one thing I cannot stand is high beam DRLs that assault my eyes regularly. Whoever thought of that should be made to drive into high beam DRL traffic constantly.

The one problem with the Sienna set-up is that if I turn on the lights and do not open the door I need to remember to open the door to turn the lights off (or do it manually). I have run out the battery because of this.....such a case would be starting the engine from the passenger seat and then turning it off from that seat and leaving, never opening the driver's door. Who would do such a stupid thing? Me. More than once, lol. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

does that work for an 03 TJ too?

Reply to
Rokihora

Probably has to do with trying to extend the life of the headlamps if they are going to be on whenever the vehicle is running.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Maybe. But I have been driving for coming up on 35 years, and I don't think I have replace more than 10 headlamps, and half of them were replaced simply because I replaced the one on the other side. I don't think that headlamp life is a very serious issue.

BTW, I borrowed my neighbors base model Toyota Tacoma this weekend, and it had headlamps that came on and went off automatically with the change od status of the engine. I like this much better than DTRs.

Reply to
CRWLR

I drove a base model Toyota Tacoma this weekend, and its headlamps behaved as you describe. The turn signal stalk has the normal On/Off switch, but if the lights are ON when the motor is OFF and the door is open, then the lights turn OFF also. Very cool ...

The whole passenger-seat key-turning-thing makes me scratch my head. Maybe the system should look at either the driver door or the passenger door opening to turn the lights off. Hmmm ...

Reply to
CRWLR

Darn, I was hoping you wouldn't notice, I didn't realise that till I saw it posted, memo to self, read what you type. sorry Dave

Reply to
Dave Shannon