2000 TJ Rear Dana 35C to Dana 44 Swap

Hi,

Want to change the rear in my 2000 TJ from a Dana 35C with 3.73 to a Dana 44 with 3.73 and trac-loc. The Dana 44 going in is from a 2002 TJ. Is this a one-for-one r/r or are there other items that need to be swapped (drive shaft, control arms, shocks, other? ). Would like to be able to start this change know that I have everything needed to finish.

Thanks, MJ

Reply to
John Q Public

L.W.(ßill)

It's a direct bolt-in, nothing changes. Trackbar, anti-swaybar, shocks, etc. all bolt to the D44 without mods. Since your TJ is likely lifted, that the longer-nosed Dana 44 normally would need a slightly shorter driveshaft is negated. If your TJ is lifted, the slightly longer driveshaft of the Dana 35c equipped TJ will be perfect for the new Dana 44.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Might I add if your TJ has ABS, you will have to disable it as ABS was not available on a factory Dana 44.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Can't imagine why you would think THAT, Bill... :-)

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

On 22 Nov 2003 08:28 AM, Jerry Bransford posted the following:

Hey Jerry, how high does the lift need to be before this applies? I may be going to a Tera 2T or OME lift in the next couple years and would like to have a 44 built at the same time (since I will want to regear anyway).

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Well, I guess it'd be a bit of a right-triangle problem but a couple inches of lift will pretty much offset the slightly longer D35c driveshaft length. Afterall, the driveshaft length isn't super-critical anyway due to the slip joint. :)

Jerry

-- Jerry Bransford To email, remove 'me' from my email address KC6TAY, PP-ASEL See the Geezer Jeep at

Jerry Bransford