Air cleaner housing

I recently installed an Edelbrock 500cfm kit on a Jeff Rice [excellent kit and great instructions] intake manifold on my 1962 Champ 259. I would like to retain the stock look of the air cleaner, that is, black banjo style. I need one that would fit the five and one eighth inch horn on the carb. I wondered if anyone had any ideas of what might fit. I consulted both the net and my FLAPs but came up with only round and chrome.

My thanks for your help

Colin

Reply to
Blue-champ

You can buy a black plastic adapter from Summit Racing with a stock

4 barrel cleaner. ( I think it's a Mr Gasket product) If you don't have one, there are some similar used units on ebay.

Blue-champ wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

I don't think anyone makes an adapter to put a 4 7/32 inch hole air cleaner onto a 5 1/8 inch carb. air horn. I have the adapter in stock to go the other way though. (a newer air cleaner onto a WCFB)

Reply to
Jerry Forrester

I don't think that that works that way; what he needs is something like that piece you had machined (wish I could remember who did it for you)

nate

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Do you have an old AFB? You could put the top of your old AFB on but use the rods and springs from your new Edelbrock. Yes they are pretty much that interchangeable. Might have to get creative with the choke but everything else should be a direct swap.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

You might write a note to Jim Turner and ask him how he did his air cleaner on his old beater red convertible. It looks bone stock and has an AFB under it. Kind of stealthy-neat... Jeff

"Blue-champ" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

SNIP his old beater red convertible

Well, at least it ain't YELLOW!

I cut the bottom out of the air cleaner, made the hole a lot bigger, then the machine shop that does my brake brackets made up a flat plate, and welded a "pipe" (for no better word) to the plate, the "pipe" is the same diameter as the throat of the AFB. Then I used some panel adhesive and glued it together, I should have done it out of aluminum, as my air cleaner probably weighs 10 lbs! I have some pictures around here somewhere, Once I find them I can e mail them to who ever is interested, as I'd probably make them too big.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Turner

Forgot to add, I also drilled several 7/8" holes in the bottom outer edge to allow more air flow, the air is still filtered, and no ones the wiser, OK, until now.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Turner

if you cant find anything suitable another option is to modify your original air cleaner to fit the new carb.with some careful measuring and cutting you can graft the right size opening onto your original air cleaner.go to a pick and pull type junkyard and find a suitable size air cleaner. it doesnt matter what it looks like -only that it is metal and has the right size hole. cut the bottom of the donor air cleaner out so you can trim and fit the opening onto your original air cleaner. leave enough for some overlap. you will cut out a portion around the opening of your original air cleaner that you can weld or braze in the piece with the proper size opening. do not cut where the air filter sits only inside where the opening is.that way you can still use an original filter . i guess that pop rivets and jb weld would work if you dont weld or braze.

homer

Reply to
homer

I put an Edelbrock carburetor on my R1 Avanti and had the same problem. The fix was easy. I went to a parts store that carried Edelbrock air cleaners and found that if I used the larger Edelbrock air cleaner base I could use the stock air filter and the the original air cleaner cover. When it is on the car it looks stock. Let me know if it works for you!

Reply to
PACKERBACKER

Between this and the Jim Turner ideas I think you have solved my problem. Seem suitably frugal as well to re-use most of the original air cleaner. The extra holes should help for the conversion for two to four barrel.

Thanks Colin

Reply to
Blue-champ

Good to see you actually read these post's ...

(My yellow POS has been yellow longer than your red POS has been red ..) Jeff (pokes at stuff with sticks..) Rice

"Jim Turner" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to find a junk base that fits the Edelbrock horn, then cut & paste both air cleaners to substitute the junk base center for the old Champ base center... doesn't have to be too neat since the welding will be underneath.

I'm not familiar with the 62 Champ "banjo" style, but if it looks like the '60 air cleaner (about 6" tall x 14" squat cylinder with a

3" round snout on one side?), it should be easy.
Reply to
WayneC