2004 TJ

I drove my 86 CJ for 10 years, traded a few months ago for a '04 TJ Columbia Edition which I believe is the same as a Sport with some seating/color upgrade. I have the 4.0 and 5speed. There a lot of things i miss about my CJ, (I hate to admit it but I used to be one of those who believed that real jeeps were only built prior to 1987)......but the daily ride is a lot nicer now. A few questions about my TJ.....which is better for routine maintenance issues for this model...Haynes or Chiltons? (I used the Haynes for my maintenance info before.) Also, does anyone know what brand of spark plug I need to get for my TJ? Also...how do I check the tranny fluid and how do I change out the front and rear diff fluids? Is it the same as the CJ? Probably not. Any help is appreciated.

Reply to
Crushed Red Pepper

The factory plugs are NGK ZF5RN with a 35 thousandth gap. That info should be listed on a decal under your hood. The tranny drains from the bottom (plug) and fills from the side and so does the transfer case. The differentials have no drain plug so you either use suction or loosen the the cover plate and drain that way.

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

Ooops! That's ZFR5N on the plugs. That's what happens when Alzheimer's meets dyslexia :-)

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)Hughes III

Thousandths

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)Hughes III

thanks Bill...i printed your chart and put it in the glove box.

Reply to
Crushed Red Pepper

Did you find the decal on the underside of your hood? I just went outside to double check my '04 4.0 and it reads 35 thousandths. I have no idea where Bill got a chart with 40 thousandths on it.

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

Reply to
Crushed Red Pepper

I forgot to mention the manual to have, if you're going to keep your '04 for a while, is the 2004 Jeep Wrangler Service Manual PN 81-370-04063. I bought a used one on eBay. Even if there are jobs you wouldn't want to tackle yourself it will help out your local repair shop "do the right thing". The Haynes manual I bought was a "one size fits all" POS for YJ's and TJ's. To be charitable it's better than nothing at all. :-)

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

In article , Crushed Red Pepper wrote: #I drove my 86 CJ for 10 years, traded a few months ago for a '04 TJ Columbia #Edition which I believe is the same as a Sport with some seating/color #upgrade. I have the 4.0 and 5speed. There a lot of things i miss about my #CJ, (I hate to admit it but I used to be one of those who believed that real #jeeps were only built prior to 1987)......but the daily ride is a lot nicer #now. A few questions about my TJ.....which is better for routine #maintenance issues for this model...Haynes or Chiltons? (I used the Haynes #for my maintenance info before.) Also, does anyone know what brand of spark #plug I need to get for my TJ? Also...how do I check the tranny fluid and #how do I change out the front and rear diff fluids? Is it the same as the #CJ? Probably not. Any help is appreciated. # #

The five-book Factory Service Manual set is the way to go. It will cost you up front...

The stock plugs are NGK, but people swear that the Champion 4412 plug is a better plug.

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong