2m/440 antenna recommendations for 08 KJ

Been out of touch with the latest and greatest in amateur radio gear. So, looking for any first hand recommendations on antenna/mount combo's for a KJ that I'm picking up this week. If I remember rite, best spot to mount is above the tire carrier.

Eric/N2JHJ

92XJ, 97XJ, 02KJ, and now a 08JK
Reply to
Eric

Define 'Best'...

Center of the roof for best performance (good ground plane). However that is not an easy location to mount to!

Reply to
PeterD

Center of the roof would be best if it was metal, and permanent. Unfortunately the roof of the 08JK is neither. Thus the reason I mentioned the spare tire carrier as I remember this being mentioned in past postings as being the "best" spot. The reason given was it's away from the engine, and it's out of the way if you switch from hard top to soft top, to no top. I guess what I'm really looking for is to see if this is still the case, or has someone come up with a better place to mount the antenna.

Eric/N2JHJ

Reply to
Eric

Oops!

Q: Are you looking for maximum performance, or just a good location? I'm not sure the front is that bad a location, noise wise, though it may not be any better than the spare carrier either. (I can just see it mounted in the center of the hood!)

Reply to
PeterD

A. Don't know. In the front you have to deal with engine noise, the back, you may/maynot have to deal with the fuel pump. I doubt the latter is a problem as I haven't had any grief from the fuel pumps on either of my XJ's...but that is assuming Jeep uses the same pump for all/most of their vehicles. I also remember someone mentioning using the existing 3rd brake light mount, but not sure if it was a home made mounting bracket, or one you could purchase say from a 3rd party vendor,or a ham radio store. I pick up the JK tonight, and with more snow in the forecast, it will be a few days before I can get the rig out of my 97XJ, so I guess I'll have to use my friend Google! :) Thanks

Eric/N2JHJ

Reply to
Eric

I still think you are excessively worried about 'engine' noise. I'd try it first before deciding that if I wanted a front mount. (but I suspect you don't!)

I was going to come back with "a metal fuel tank won't let that happen" then I thought about it. I'll just say that if that is a problem, I bet there are other issues nearby that will also be a problem. I think the fuel pump shoud be well shielded even in a plastic fuel tank.

I'm sure they are similar, a DC motor, brushes probably.

I'd guess home made, but maybe I'm wrong. I could see a generic one that mounted on the bolts/studs that hold a spare tire.

Good luck, let us know how it worked out.

Reply to
PeterD

Eric, you could try one of these:

Mounts to the spare tire bracket bolts. I've got one on my YJ for my CB antenna.

-- ~/Garth - 1993 Wrangler S 2.5 { }|||||||{ } "MukYJ"

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)Hughes III

Pete, I had a brain fart. I'm used to the gas tank of the wranglers being in the back behind the rear axle. Don't know when they changed over, but (I even looked under to verify) the gas tank on the Wranglers is now between the axles, passenger side, and inside the frame. So, the "fuel pump" issue if there is one, has moved forward. We still have a bit of snow on the ground, and the temps have still averaged at or below freezing, so the nice day when I can park it on the lawn, and install the rig is a few weeks away. This gives me time to search, and check out other suggestions/replies. Will do on keeping all informed. Thanks.

V/R, Eric/N2JHJ

Reply to
Eric

Thanks for the info Garth. Will check it out, and see if this is what will fit the bill.

Thanks, Eric/N2JHJ

Reply to
Eric